My oldest, who is only eight, recently asked a very serious question. A question that I for one have been dreading.
"Mom what does sex mean?"
As I tried to hold back my gasp. I was thankfully saved by my husband who answered the question quickly, and bluntly.
"That is how babies are made and I will be glad to discuss it with you later on tonight."
We were getting all three of them ready for bed and we hoped this would not develop into a full family discussion.
Later on that evening he confessed,
"That's not what the dictionary said."
I am thinking, that we could be in trouble here, but inquired on,
"What did the dictionary say?"
As I am mentally preparing myself for the worst, he said,
"It means if you are a boy or a girl." Of course I was relieved and happily replied,
"Yes, yes that is exactly what it means!" We should have started with,
"What do you think it is?" but we are learning.
We went on to talk to him about how God planned families, starting with a covenant between a man and woman to love, honor and cherish each other for their whole lives. If God so willed, He would give them children to love. Requiring that they teach the children about God.
I think he was bored by this point, as that was not the aim of his question in the first place. I learned some valuable lessons from this encounter. Be prepared for any and all questions and to ask a few probing questions of my own, to better discern how much information he needs for his age.
Dear God,
Help me to be the influence my children need at every stage of their growth. Keep me willing to listen to thier questions and concerns. May I pause, even if interupted, to listen as they may not feel brave enough to ask again. Bring to my attention any morally inaccurate information they may have recieved from peers. May my children feel my door is always open for communication. Do not allow me to neglect praying for them daily, requesting protection, wisdom and for discernment for You will in their lives. In Jesus Name, Amen
Ephesians 4:2 "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." (NIV)
Ephesians 6:4 "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." (NIV)
Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
1 comment:
We got that question a few months ago. And, again, thankfully, my husband stepped in. "We'll talk about this when you are older."
It's enough for now, but it won't be for long. And you are right about maintaining that ear that should always listen. Here, I think slow to respond is really important, because our children are coming from a direction that's, often, entirely different from our own.
Prayers all around for this one!
Post a Comment