Anyone who knows me well knows I love to sleep. Often I dream of sleep while I am awake! I think this all started during my first job after graduation. I worked the night shift 7PM to 7AM. I did not think I ever had, or even could, stay up all night, but I did for almost a year before being promoted to evening shift. I also learned that I could sleep all day too!
Since having children I do not have such luxurious sleep habits. I go to bed late and get up early, longing for my children to want a nap. While having lunch with a friend today we looked over at a nearby table and saw a baby. We oohhed and ahhed. My friend felt secure, in that her tither is full(her family is complete). My comment was only about how a baby would further impede my hope for sleep.
While in study today I found a disturbing or perhaps awakening verse for me. "Do not love sleep, or you will become poor, Open your eyes and you will be satisfied with food." Perhaps this was a wake up call to me from the Lord-saying, "Get up off your dairyaire; stop wishing for sleep; get your work done; go to bed early; and be sure to eat breakfast!" I think I'd better try that!
Dear Jesus,
May I seek out You out first in my life, then all else will fall perfectly into place. I thank you for dividing our day light and night hours so there is a time for work and a time for rest. Keep me focused on the tasks at hand during the day with energy and strength to fullfill them. May my rest at night leave me refreshed and rejuvinated for the day ahead!
Proverbs 20:13 "Do not love sleep, or you will become poor. Open your eyes, and you will be satisfied with food." (NASB)
2 comments:
I just finished reading your post and feel like it could have been me talking. I also love sleep.
It's almost 11:30PM now. I was getting ready to finish up a few things on my to-do list and then check email etc.
After reading this, I think I'll try to go to bed and that way I'll wake up at a descent hour tomorrow and start the day fresh instead of tired.
I think this verse is referring to being lazy. Which YOU ARE NOT. You work full time as a mom, and part time outside the home. You actively chase 3 little people, and 1 big dog and 1 big man all day every day! You are tired.
Jesus said "come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest." He desires that you get your rest. Sleep easy, sleep well. Just not TOO much.
Post a Comment