Monday, June 16, 2008

Be Prepared...or not

Patterson adventures are exciting because you never know just how things are going to turn out. We hope we are prepared for all situations-ideal and less than desirable. And if we are ill prepared hopefully we can improvise!

Our trip was fun, with challenges, .....ups and downs. Upon our arrival it started to thunder and rain. We had just finished our lunch and had only set up one tent thus far. We sat out the rain in the truck and the storm quickly past. We set up our other tent and were ready to hike. The children found a muddy hill which was great fun to run and slide down. I was relived that the rainy day has not caused our attitudes to be cloudy. We headed to the falls.
Our youngest has not hiked much in her three years so it is up for grabs how far you actually get. She did great, a real trouper! The rain increased as did the thunder so we peeked over the falls and immediately started back. We maybe went a little over two miles. She began to wear out and said, "Daddy I can't walk anymore.....I'm drippy". Any daddy knows a drippy girl can't walk so she was carried most of the remaining distance. My middle son was thrilled as he found a snail and a salamander. He took some convincing as to why we could not take these animals back to our campsite. My oldest loves to be in the lead so he too was holding his head high. While getting closer to our campsite the rain was.. kind of pouring. I began to doubt if we should stay. Mr P assured me that he thought he could still get our dinners cooked and if not,- well we could always have Pop tarts.
I did not pack for a rainy trip. I packed for a fun clear skies trip. The myriads of things I should have packed came into my head; a deck of cards, dominoes, books, and small dolls. Oh well, I thought we'll see how this goes. I helped the children into dry clothes and secured them in the boys tent with the scraping of toys I could find in the truck: two Lego men and a storm trooper. Then I set out to help Mr P with the fire. Later I smiled as I heard giggles and a game of "I spy" going on. (I did not even tell them to do that).
The rain stopped and our fire flourished. By bedtime we were not even feeling damp. Our dinners were delicious and the kids LOVED eating s'mores and staying outside well into darkness. As we snuggled in for night time prayers I thanked God for the rain and the opportunity it gave us to work together to make the best of our time no matter the circumstances surrounding us.

Stay tuned for more camping tale adventures of our unexpected vistor!

Dear God,
Help us to be thankful for the simple things in life, like rainy days, puddles to splash in, children's smiles and the gift of teamwork. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Philippians 4:12 "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

Proverbs 15:15b "but the cheerful heart has a continual feast."

1 Timothy 6:6-8 "But godliness with contentment is great gain. for we brought nothing into the world, and we can take notheing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Just goes to show you that you don't have to be prepared for everything, but to have a good attitude (cheerful heart, indeed!) goes a long way! I'm glad you all enjoyed your rainy trip.

Can't wait to learn about your unexpected visitor. (A bear?? A deer?? A stranger??)

Sue J. said...

Your Scriptures are PERFECT for this kind of adventure....because you learn to rely on God in all times AND you realize just how creative you all can be.

If you started bringing a lot of stuff, you'd be entering the realm of what my husband calls "fat-boy camping." Like living high off the hog in a wilderness environment is inappropriate, somehow.... When we camped--before kids--having a flush toilet was considered "fat-boy." (And I hadn't done a latrine since Girl Scouts!)

THAT's why you do your style of camping with your whole family early on....And your little girl will be marching back through those drippy mud puddles in no time! FUN!

My ADHD Me said...

Sounds like you all had a blast. I must say, however, that after reading your blog, I am even more grateful for my AC, TV, and soft bed.
You said your youngest was a real trouper. Well, it's obvious where she got that from!! You're quite a mom!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you all had a wonderful time. Imagine how differently your day would have turned out if your attitude was sour and you went home! You and your family reaped the benefits of God's blessings...many times over that day. Here's to fun times with family...