Friday, June 6, 2008

Sunny Day Sack Races

Yesterday was field day at my sons elementary school. The events were all fun noncompetitive and light, over all, just a fun day in the sun! All of the Patterson's were there to cheer on our participants. They had a traditional sack race; it is my all time favorite field day event! It brought back fond memories of field days long, long ago!







Some of the events were races, but not against others, only for your personal best. Other events required that you work together to reach the finish line. Some by carrying a ball between you and your buddy or to carry the ball between you and your partner's sticks or paddles, while walking to a distant object and back. It required teamwork. My life is a bit like that. At times I am running with Christ alone, studying and trying hard to listen to what God is saying in His Word. All of the time straining towards the plans God has for me, so that I finish the race well. Other times I am running with, dear friends in Christ who are helping me, mentoring me, and working with me in a ministry or service. Together we are straining forward towards the goals Christ has for us. I am so blessed by a fellowship of friends who share what the Holy Spirit is doing and saying in their lives. These women have encouraged, challenged and held me accountable in my faith. Through them Christ has been molding and changing my heart over the years. They truly are stock piling treasures in heaven, and my soul is one of them, for that, I am eternally grateful.
Dear God,
I am so thankful for the people You placed in my life, who have lead me to You. Your love flows abundantly to me through the gift of friendships that You have given. These bonds that You have blessed are such a comfort in an ever changing, troubling world. Whether they live two houses down or many states away I am glad they are along on this race for the prize with me! In Jesus Name, Amen

Philippians 3:12-14 "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (NIV)

Hebrews 12:1 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (NIV)

Matthew 6:20 "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." (NIV)

2 comments:

My ADHD Me said...

So True! It is amazing how my life has changed since I have allowed others into my life. Being held accountable AND having friends you can turn to makes such a huge difference. I still have a "safe" stone wall around me but it is slowly starting to crumble. Thanks.

Kelly said...

Reminds me of Mark Schultz song "cloud of witnesses". I love that song. Thanks for being in my cloud!