Friday, June 13, 2008

Do you have Paraskavedekatriaphobia?


The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia, a word derived from the concatenation of the Greek words Paraskeví (meaning Friday), and dekatreís (meaning thirteen), attached to phobía. I found this crazy word in the newspaper and then looked it up on dictionary.com.


The number 13 has never bothered me. I am not a superstitious person. This particular Friday the 13th is my Happy Birthday, so how could it be scary! I am 36 today!


In 36 years I have been many things. A child of God, a daughter, sister, cousin, friend, student, dancer, singer, camper, clarinet player, marcher, runner, dental insurance filer, dental assistant, babysitter, Hobarter (dishwasher), camp councellor, camp first aider, nursing assistant, Registered Nurse, diabetes nurse educator, cardiac nurse, Mrs, wife, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, youth leader, aunt, mother, Sunday school teacher -this list may go on and on over the course of time.


In our lifetimes God may call us to be many different things to many different people. We have the opportunities to touch lives everyday, everywhere we go. God has us placed where we are for a reason and a purpose. May I rise to the occasion, no matter how insignificant I may think it is, and make sure that I am shining the light of Christ to all I come in contact with.


Dear God,

Thank you for fun reasons to celebrate. Thank you for the friends and family that are such blessings to me! I thank you for the many hats you've had me wear and I look forward to future assignments as You will. Help me to seek out those who need to hear about You and to see Your light. May I be sensitive to those in need of prayer and comfort. Lord be with those who may be in despair. Let them feel Your love and purpose in their lives. In Jesus Name, Amen.


Psalm 31:24 "Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord."


Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me our ways, O Lord teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior and my hope is in you all day long. "


Titus 2:7 a "In everything set them an example by doig what is good"


Colossians 3:12 "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.


7 comments:

Sue J. said...

Woo, girl! I'm glad I keep a dictionary under my desk!!

And, you can add "devoted inspirational blogger" to your list of God-given calls.

Even as a kid when I was "playfully superstitious," 13 was a lucky number. Mr. J. and I were married on a 13. And, just think, our kids will be 13 in ..... (ACK!)

What a beautifully sunny Friday to celebrate your big day! Prayers and blessings to you--ENJOY!

Kelly said...

Happy birthday to Yoooooouuuuuu! I hope you & Mr P have a glorious evening tonight while your incredibly smart, funny & beautiful sitter watches your princess. (note to blog readers, I'm babysitting! ha!)

You are a beautiful daughter of Christ and an example of his love. Keep up the good work!

The Patterson 5 said...

CK, we are excited about our night out! (note our last night out was your birthday party) so it has been awhile! The princess is thrilled. Each day she asks, Is the party today? Today I could say, Yes!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Happy Birthday!!!

You are such precious soul! I am glad to know you and I am really blessed by reading your posts.

The note you sent me was so sweet I will treasure it and keep it forever.

Add encourager to your list!

My ADHD Me said...

Happy Birthday!!
There's nothing wrong with a Friday the 13th birthday. You should try living with MY birthday---April 1st....HEY! Why doesn't that surprise anyone??
Thank you so much for the card. You are SO thoughtful.

My ADHD Me said...

P.S PARASKAVEDEKATRIAPHOBIA!!
WOW! I'm impressed.

The Patterson 5 said...

Many thanks for the birthday wishes! It was a really fun birthday! Thanks MH and CK for giving us a night out on the town!