Thursday, June 5, 2008

God is Great and Good

My oldest son plays the guitar. Actually he and my husband are learning to play the guitar. He can play many beautiful little numbers like, Ode to Joy, (my favorite) and Aura Lee. He and his dad also like to play some old rock songs from the '80s. He is learning Iron man by Ozzy Osbourne. The funny thing is my youngest, who is three hums this song- at times loudly. I am sure we receive some sideways glances in the grocery store. The very idea of a young preschooler humming such a song. I do not know the original lyrics so those sideways glances could very well be justified as this song could be extremely inappropriate. We replaced the words with a favorite dinner time prayer.

God is great and good

Let us thank Him for our food

By his hands we're fed

Give us Lord our daily bread.

Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah-men

Ah-Ah-Ah

Ah-Ah-Ah

Ah-Ah-men!

Psalms 33:5 "Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy."
Psalms 40:3 "He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."
Psalms 81:2 "Begin the music, strike the tambourine, play the melodious harp and lyre.
(My husband called us the Partridge family!)


3 comments:

Kelly said...

This is GREAT. I laughed out loud. You should "google" the lyrics just to find out the real lyrics. But I love it. Truly glorifying the Lord in everything!

Sue J. said...

Blue Oyster Cult had a song called "Go, Go Godzilla." We changed Godzilla to Daughter #1's first name (C-zilla). She was always on the go and, at the time, wrecking everything (like block towers, etc.).

Such fun! A future Chris Tomlin, no doubt.

My ADHD Me said...

I know what you mean. I catch myself humming or singing along to the radio, not paying attention to the actual lyrics and then realize what I'm saying and have to change the station. Last year Alberquando played a song by Nirvana in the school talent show (guitar). I saw the lyrics and the title seemed nice so I ok'ed it. I cannot remember the name now (brain freeze) but anyway I later learned (AFTER THE SHOW) that the song meant something totally different than I thought. I felt Awful that I had let him play it, even though I don't think he had realized it himself. Luckily he didn't sing, just played so maybe nobody realized....(wow, sorry this is so long...almost a blog in itself!)