Monday, June 23, 2008

Which Body Part Are You?

I asked my oldest about their Sunday School lesson. He said they are studying a letter Paul wrote to a church. I asked, " Which church? He said he thought it was a Catholic one. I asked, "Well what did the letter say?"

He said, "All the parts of the body are special and important. Like if your eye just up and decided to run off you would not be able to see anymore and if your nose jumped off you would not be able to smell and then if your ear popped off you would not be able to hear. That's not exactly how Paul said it but it's how I got it".

I asked what he thought this meant. Long pause, thoughtful look....
"How does this relate to the church being the body of Christ?"

He said, "That if anybody pops off we won't be able to do as much. Everybody's important." Everybody has a job to do."

I asked, "If our family represented the body of Christ what part would you be?"
Immediately he answered, " The foot."

" Why? "

" I don't know", then, "well I can run and swim fast." He went on to say that Daddy would be the head, because he's the leader. My middle son could be the eyes because he sees well with out glasses and our daughter the hand because she likes to help do their chores.

I thought more about this and decided, yes, he and all of our children could be "the feet". Through their activities; school, scouts, neighborhood play and sports they move me out into the world, out to where others need to hear the gospel.

My husband definately is the leader of our family. He, thankfully, seeks God and His will for our lives in making decisions. He also seeks council from me- teamwork is important to him.

My middle son could be our eyes. He does help us to see the world in a brighter light. Looking more to the good in every situation.

My youngest LOVES to help and her brothers gladly accept her requests to feed the dog, set the table and various other chores. I pray she can keep her servants heart attitude. So hand does fit her as well.

What part am I in our family that hopes to be good servants for Christ? Perhaps I could be the skin, holding us all together as we go about our duties.

Dear God,
I praise you in the diversity in which you made us so that everyone is equally important and everyone has a purposeful job to do. You made us individually suited for Your plans. You also made us so that we must rely on eachother and work together. Help us to realize this and shoulder our burdens, along with the burdens of others so that everyone's load will be lightened.
In Jesus Name, Amen.

1Corinthians 12:12,14 ,18 "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though al its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ."
"now the body is not made up of one part but of many. "
"But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be."
vs 21 "The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!"
vs 26 "If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; for if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it."

3 comments:

My ADHD Me said...

Hhmmm, interesting question. Since I am reading the Purpose Driven Life and and at a crossroads at where I am and what I'm going to do. I'll be the Spleen. I'm not sure of it's purpose either. I think I'll be a Temporary Spleen. And then, who knows.....

Kelly said...

Mrs P, I think you are the heart and soul.

My kids think you are the best, and the littlest one wants to know if you can teach her swimming lessons. haha. I don't know where that came from. But the highlight of the time I was away, was their time with you, so thanks.

As for me, I think I must be the mouth. SMILE.

Sue J. said...

From the mouths of "babes" (not so much anymore is he....).

Grand insight. And I love the part about people in the church "popping off." Sorrowfully, there is a LOT of popping off at church, and the body really does suffer for that, as much as it can rejoice in continuing to meet and love each other.