Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Positive Nickels

One night while tucking my children in bed I noticed a negative tone I had towards them. It seemed I only focused on the things they did not get right so it made the end of the day discouraging and off. I re-tucked them in to tell them the things I remembered that were great and right on!
At the end of this tiring day it seemed that I lost sight of the good and talked to them only about the bad. My children were doing their chores, but with prompting or do I daresay nagging. That's when I discovered it wasn't that they were not doing things right it was that when I nag (or prompt) it makes me cranky. So I had to come up with an incentive plan to try to keep us more on track.


We have not given a set allowance but we decided to give this a try. Each boy starts the day with one dollar in nickels. I keep them on the counter in two glass jars. If I have to remind them of a chore or tell them twice to do something instead of nagging I take a nickel from their jar and put it in another glass (so they can hear the clink). At the end of the day, before we have devotions I have them count their nickels. My oldest ended his first day with seventy five cents and my middle son with sixty five. I focused on how great it was they still had over half of their monies. They are excited about the probability of having money at the end of the week. I also think it will be helpful in teaching them about money management.

Dear God,
Give me an attitude of love and compassion as I encourage and disapline my children. May they know they are loved unconditionally no matter how they do thier jobs, but that a job well done is the goal to aim for. Remind me of the compassion and mercy You have given to me as I bring them up to be servants for You. In Jesus Name, Amen


Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things."


Proverbs 29:17 "Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul."


Colossians 3:21 "Fathers do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged."


Proverbs 10-17 "He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray."

4 comments:

Sue J. said...

I have a terrible time, come 5 o'clock, with trying to keep positive. I know it has then become a very long day for my girls, and behavior definitely starts to slip. Still, it doesn't help when I add to that snowball effect with my getting on them.

I think I'd be taking nickels from my bowl before theirs, though. (And I'm not disciplined enough with myself, obviously, to even do that!)

You always help me reflect on things in the light of God's word, and I appreciate that immensely in starting me day--thanks!

Kelly said...

What a clever idea! And a great way to help them realize that their are positive and negative consequences to our actions (or lack of action!)

Thanks for the inspirational verses too. Blessings to you!

My ADHD Me said...

I've tried similar ideas with tokens, etc. One of my kids "gifts" (and I use that word cautiously), it that they are just like I am. They feel the need to justify their actions. Every token/coin I removed became a debate. That has always been one of my biggest challenges in child raising. It's part of the whole "No, means No" thing and "I don't need to tell you Why or Why Not". Unfortunately, they always feel the need to ask and I STILL always feel the need to tell them. THAT'S WHEN THE TROUBLE STARTS. The next thing I know, they seem to be making more sense then I am and the token/coin goes back in the jar. My oldest is too old for this but I am going to try your way AGAIN with new inspiration. Wish me luck!!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

This was a great idea. I am so glad that you recognized your need to re-tuck them in focusing on good things. You are a woman of God and that is reflected in your parenting!

I hope that this keeps working for you!