Saturday, June 7, 2008

Jolly, Jolly Ranchers!


My youngest son graduated from Kindergarten! His teacher had a special program for the families to come watch. She brought each child up individually and spoke of the gifts each one exhibited throughout the year, how each child was special, and how they contributed to the class. She also gave each child a candy that went along with their character traits.
I had no idea this day would make me sentimental and teary until we were there and she began to share what each child meant to her over the year. When my middle child's turn came he bounced up front to his teacher. She began to talk about how he always came to class with a smile on his face ready for the days activities. He received the enthusiastic reward as he was always upbeat and ready to try new things. He beamed under this praise. I was smiling too, but also teared up as now he is done with this rite of passage- Kindergarten.
Earlier in the school year in a parent teacher conference she described my enthusiastic child as a risk taker, willing to try new things with no fear. He is our risk taker. Last summer he could barely make it across the swimming pool, yet he was determined to swim on the swim team. Swim he did, with a smile on, always, even though most times he finished last.* He did win one ribbon simply because there were only five swimmers in his age group and he came in fourth. After the race he said I swam faster that somebody! He was thrilled!
He is a Jolly Rancher! " Jolly" does describe this child!
This jolliness, joy, and enthusiasm could only come from God and we, our whole family, are so blessed by his gift! It keeps our whole family's attitude sunny!
*this swim season he has already shaved 20 seconds off of his time! Still smiling the whole time!
Dear God,
Immerse my children in confident hope as they trust in You with thier self worth. Thank you for wonderful teachers who recognize the gifts You have given each child. Surround thier relationships at school, church, the ball field and home with Your guidance and love. Continue to shine through them leading others to You. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Psalm 68:3 "But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful.
Proverbs 15:30 "A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.
Romans 12:12 "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Have a joyful, restful, beautiful Sunday praising our God-making sure He is first in your every thought. If you are in the pulic service industry and must serve others (work on Sunday) do so with love as if doing it for Christ so that others may see Christ shining through you!

3 comments:

My ADHD Me said...

Only when I finished reading this did I realize that I had a smile on my face the whole time!

Kelly said...

I enjoyed this so much, I linked to it and wrote my own blog about my candy family! This was so sweet and precious. Thank you for sharing it.

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

I'm hungry, where's the candy? Just kidding, loved this post. You are blessed and so are your "sweet" children. ;)