Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Let's take a walk!

Today I bought a new exercise video, Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds. Chatty Kelly recommended it! I love to walk outside or jog on the treadmill at the gym. Working out keeps me healthy and able to keep up with, and have patience with my two boys and my little girl. Mainly, exercise keeps me from feeling blue. When I go a week or so without exercise, I get sad for no apparent reason. Exercise is important in my physical and spiritual well being.

My husband has started grad school. This is exciting and a little scary as we will be juggling time a little more tightly. (I didn't think it could get any tighter!) He started his first class and was gone from early in the morning to late in the evening, because his class was after work. He is usually my relief to go exercise. I thought walking with Leslie, in addition to chasing the boys on bikes with my youngest in the stroller, could be ways of exercising while still watching after my young ones at the same time!

Here are some interesting quotes I found about walking. The first one is my favorite. It reminds me of my mom she is a real power walker!

"It is impossible to walk rapidly and be unhappy" Mother Teresa

"An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day" Henry David Thoreau

"Walking is a man's best medicine" Hippocrates

"The sum of the whole is this: walk and be happy; walk and be healthy. The best way to lengthen out our days is to walk steadily and with a purpose" Charles Dickens

Dear God,
You created our bodies so that they work better if we get them moving often and regularly. May I find moments here and there for exercise for my health and well being. Thank you for friends who share what has worked for them so we may learn from and support each other. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with the wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not be faint."

Colossians 1:10 "so that you may lead lives worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, as you bear fruit in every good work and as you grow in the knowledge of God."

Psalm 86:10-12 "For you are great and do wondrous things' you alone are God. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth, give me an undivided heart to revere your name."

Deuteronomy 10:12: "And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul."

3 comments:

My ADHD Me said...

I always feel better after a brisk walk, whether it is alone, with the dog, a friend or the kids. YET, it seems to always be one of the last priorities on my to-do list. Sometimes I even dread it, yet again, aterwards I feel better. Thanks for the reminder to get outside and move!

My ADHD Me said...

HHmmm, looks like you and I are the only ones on the computer this week.
It's like a friendly face when I read your comments.
Hope your summer is going well.
Sounds like you have been BUSY BUSY BUSY! : )

The Patterson 5 said...

I think everyone is on vacation! Hope they are having a good time! We are busy, busy most of the time. Our (well at least mine) seems to revolve around what ever sport the boys are in to at the moment. Right now it is swimming. Little princess tags right along we even have a button with the boys picture on it to show our support! Crazy I know!