Monday, September 29, 2008

A Peaceful Nights Rest

The Patterson five have been very busy this past week and we are still striving forward. Mr P started his MBA class. He has a test and presentation due this week, yet he also has a business trip for work. Hopefully studying on the airplane and researching at night on the Internet will get him by. During his free time he took care of our children two nights, while I worked, and helped me teach Sunday School. Super Man would have trouble keeping up with Mr P.

Meanwhile on the home front, is a very tired Mommy. As I was yawning through dinner yearning for an early bedtime, which was not at all a bad idea since we almost missed the bus this morning, and my oldest cried during homework time,- I shared how tired I was with the children. My oldest said, "Well of course you are tired. Look at all you do for us." I almost flipped out of my chair at this revelation from my son. My middle son took the cue and thanked me for supper, homework help and for dessert which had not yet been served, or seen ,so that may have been a ploy. Of course they did get dessert!

I had an easy time getting them ready for bed, the boys were most helpful. After devotion and night time prayers I tucked them in youngest to oldest. My oldest asked me to sing a prayer that I still sing with his sister, that we sang when he was little too.

Father we thank thee for the night
And for the pleasant morning light
For rest and food and loving care
and for all that makes life fair

Father please help me to be good
Do unto others as I should
In all I do in work or play
To be more loving every day
Amen

As I sang, I gently brushed my fingers through his hair and marveled at his lavishly long eyelashes thanking God for this beautiful child, who though difficult at times can also be so incredible insightful and sweet.

I can see the Lord working in their hearts and it moves me to tears for what more could a mom hope for than for her children to love the Lord.

Here is a poem by Ruth Bell Graham for all of the tired mothers out there.

God
bless all young mothers
at end of day,
kneeling wearily with each
small one
to hear them pray.
Too tired to rise when done.......
and yet, they do,
longing just to sleep
one whole night through.

Too tired to sleep....
too tired to pray....
God,
bless all young mothers
at close of day.


God bless you all and may you have a peaceful night's rest!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

How about us old mothers? LOL! I think she meant mothers of young children, not young mothers.

Of course I'm kidding. That was the most beautiful post. I think that is pretty close to your children rising up and calling you blessed. Your children are smart cookies, and they know how hard their mommy works. (extra smart is the middle one who earned dessert for he & his siblings!)

I hope you got a good nights sleep too!

Sue J. said...

It's like God raises up the very best in your children at a time when they can see the weakness in you. I have seen that too (on those rare occasions....for now.....), and it is such a blessing in those very challenging times for us.

Are you still trying to get up early, even though Mr. P. is on the road? Your decision to do that was so loving! I know that means a tough week ahead for you, so prayers for that strength that surpasses all that we have.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Hope you got some rest! Sleep has been few and far in this house too lately! I hope things are better for you today!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

How very sweet this post is. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for commenting today at my site. It was a fun day, and I'm exhausted!

My ADHD Me said...

How funny that Chatty Kelly and I think alike. Her first sentence is EXACTLY what my first sentence was going to be. next time I'll have to get to your blog before she does.

Don't You just LOVE it when your children NOTICE. It is definitely one of the best feelings!!

sgreen said...

How wonderful when you see the power of God in you and your children. Yeah for families! Can you come sing to me too?