Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Patterson Pepperoni Pizza Party!

Try saying that three times fast! Our children were our featured chefs for this evenings dinner at the Patterson diner! Pizza was on the menu, and as the youngest Patterson is working on letter recognition we thought Pepperoni Pizza night would be a great theme for the letter P!


We are also hoping it will help our boys not only learn how to cook but the sequencing involved in meal preparation. First you wash your hands, then you read recipe directions....you get the idea!


As a young girl I enjoyed helping my mom in the kitchen. I remember one of my first meals I cooked on my own was meat loaf. Surely I made mashed potatoes and green beans to go along with it but, all I remember from this particular cooking adventure was the meat loaf. I had misread Mom's recipe. The recipe called for two teaspoons of salt. I added two tablespoons. Well I am sure you can imagine how awful it was! My dear sweet dad ate it anyway and said it was good. My mom has a similar story involving salt and a lemon meringue pie that my dad lovingly tasted and ate as well during their courtship. He is still alive and kicking, having survived two novice chefs!



My hope is that our children will enjoy meal time, and remember it as a time we spent together as a family, may that make every meal we share indeed sweet!

Dear God,


May our children learn how to live in community serving each other within the loving confines of our family so that they will be prepared to go out into the world to serve You by serving others. May they have happy cooking adventures knowing the end product served in love, is sweet no matter the taste! In Jesus Name, Amen.



Psalm 34:8 "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."


1 Thessalonians 5:11 "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."


Thank you, God, for loving me.


Thank you for my family.


Help me to learn more each day


To be kind at work and play.


Amen.



10 comments:

Sue J. said...

We love to cook here, too, as you know. D#1 is the pizza sous chef, with her dad. We haven't had an ingredient measurement mix-up yet, that I know, although we sure have had a lot of ingredients get dropped, eaten or otherwise out of their containers!

Being a good cook takes a lot of practice, like playing sports, music, or anything else we do. So for the kids to enjoy the discipline and to continue to strive--and have fun!--is a great way to teach them perseverance, working toward a goal

Kelly said...

My kids love to bake here! We make cookies, cakes, anything that involves lots of measuring and stirring! My oldest can make pancakes all by herself! She reads the instructions, prepares the batter, and can even cook on the stove with little help.

It is so exciting to see them grow up. Just like Jesus, they are growing in wisdom and statue. (Luke 2:52)

The Patterson 5 said...

CK Your daughter was part of the inspiration for more kid cooking time. She can handle a mixer as well as Rachel Ray! She makes a great chocolate chip cookie!

Amydeanne said...

looks like they had a blast!

Kacey Elliott said...

Around here, my kids love to mix the ingredients for baking (I think it's more because they like the final result :-) Looks like each of your kids enjoyed getting involved. What fun!

Kelly said...

Awwww - thanks. That makes me feel so good. I was just reading another blog of another mom doing fun stuff like you do, and was feeling a tad inferior. You don't know how much one little comment can make a gal feel so much better. THANKS!

Runner Mom said...

How precious! I remember the first thing I learned to cook! It was hot dogs! How nutritous is that?!! I finally got boiling water down to a science!

Hugs,
Susan

Edie said...

Oh my goodness I have fallen behind.

This is so cute! I have let my grandaughters make pizza too. They just love it.

And I did the salt thing once too only in oatmeal. No amount of sugar would fix it! You're dad is a real trooper. A Super Trooper! :D

Anonymous said...

Love it! Sounds like such fun! I have one too many cooking flubs around here, but we've all survived. And, of course, it has helped me grow as a chef....and it will help your kids learn many lessons not only in the kitchen, but in life! What fun!

The Davidsons said...

That was such a cute post. When I was growing up, if I didn't cook it, it wasn't made...so I learned cooking early myself! My specialty? Velveeta Shells N Cheese. Just call me Emeril! I can just see your dad eating a salty meatloaf and a salty lemon pie. You had me laughing on this one!