Artistically, I have never received accolades but I have enjoyed the pursuit during my life time! Growing up I took nine years of dance lessons. In my adult life these lessons have not been a needed skill but I can still do a double step, triple step and shuffle ball change-where are those old tap shoes of mine? I played the clarinet and marched in the band during high school. Even though I was last chair, I still enjoyed the effort! In college I took a sculpting class, thinking I'd be great, but the instructor said my piece did not flow. Oh well, it was fun and I learned to have an appreciation for the finer arts!
It did not really matter to me that I wasn't the best, or even all that good at these things. I just found enjoyment in the doing, no matter the looks or sounds of the end result.
My mom, who is a respected retired educator of children, has told me of my children's artwork, that it is the process of their work, "the doing," that is important, not always the looks of the finished product. In "the doing," their creativity grows and their imaginations take flight.
My boys are beginner musicians. They are slowly learning to play the guitar, and the piano. There is a great feeling of pride for them when Mr Hughes, their instructor gives them a "good job!" He can always tell the weeks they have really practiced, and they get that feeling of accomplishment when they have played a song well.
These arts in our lives are beautiful, entertaining, and who knows may bless others one day; in the community, or in my children's homes, when they grow up to have families of their own. I hope they can use these talents and abilities they have been given or have learned to bless others! I know I can get a giggle out of all of the other Patterson's when I break into a tap dance number from yesteryear! A joy to behold I am sure!
Dear God,
Today I am thankful for the many ways you have given us to express ourselves and to express our love for You. The arts in our lives enrich our days and bless us in so many ways. May we bring glory to you in all of our artistic endevors. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Psalm 95: 1-3O "Come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. "
4 comments:
Hi. Obviously you have inherited your mom's gift of "building up" your children. That is SO important. My mom was an artist in her earlier years and always told us exactly what she thought our art work looked like. She didn't judge the effort...just the actual drawing, picture etc. I think that is why I use stick figures in my drawings.
I really agree with other folks who say that being able to create is sharing in God our Creator--He designed for us to be able to create things and to use His creation.
Encourage and encourage and ENJOY!
I don't know about tapping, but you do a mean running man! Trust me bloggers, this gal can dance!
It is so important to encourage our kids in their creative venues and you are doing a great job of that!
I don't think God intended for everybody to have the same talents, then they wouldn't make people special would they? This is sometimes what sets us apart from others and why we gravitate to certain people - sometimes they can provide us with what we are missing in our selves. Much like your mom, I believe that art really is more about the process than the final destination. I like your little one's style and intensity, kind of like Jackson Pollack :-)
Post a Comment