Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Four Leafed Clover


Today while out in my back yard I found a four leaf clover! I have never found one before and I came by it completely by accident. I was talking on the phone about my anxiety over my youngest first day of preschool next week with a dear friend. I was standing in a patch of clover, looked down and there it was!


In Irish tradition the Three-leaf Clover represents the Holy Trinity: one leaf for the Father, one for the Son and one for the Holy Spirit. When a Shamrock is found with the fourth leaf, it represents God's Grace. I have been pondering God's grace all afternoon.

What does God's grace mean to me?

Grace is getting what I do not deserve.

God offers us a unmerited gift of grace through the death of His Son Jesus Christ. It was my sin that the Son of God died for. He knew me and of my sin even then. Jesus death is my salvation because I accept it. I must daily "die" to myself, by confessing and repenting of my sin, only then can I live for Christ.

I am in need of a Savior. I can do nothing on my own. God's grace has given me everything I have. I do not deserve these good things, but by God's grace they are here.

Grace- getting what I do not deserve

Isn't it Amazing!

Romans 3:23 "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

John 15:5 b "apart from me you can do nothing."

Sometimes to make this verse more personal I will read it like this:

John 3:16 For God so loved me that He gave his one and only Son, that when I believe in Him I shall not perish but have eternal life.

An Irish wish for a friend....my wish for you!

A Wish for a Friend
Wishing you a rainbow
For sunlight after showers—
Miles and miles of Irish smiles
For golden happy hours—
Shamrocks at your doorway
For luck and laughter too,
And a host of friends that never ends
Each day your whole life through!

8 comments:

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

I loved that irish prayer! Thanks for sharing it. I am also so grateful for God's grace. We need it daily! I am sure your youngest will do fine at pre-school, but if she should have troubles, re-consider why you are putting her there. She is still so very young. I know she's shy but God has made each child so uniquely and they seem to blossom at different ages.

I had one child who didn't read fluently until she was 10!!! I was pulling my hair out trying every different phonics program I could find and nothing mattered until she was the age of 10. Now, she reads constantly! I can't keep enough books in the house for her to read, Praise God! So, I finally had to just realize that God is in control of these things. He gave me the Grace to persevere. :)

Love,
Sonya

The Patterson 5 said...

Sonya,
Thank you for your encouragement! We will see how it goes with preschool-if it doesn't fit, no worries, I will remember your wise words!

Sue J. said...

I have found many a four-leaf clover in my day, but I hadn't heard the significance of each leaf (unless my grandmother and aunt told me and I forgot!).

And, quite frankly, most of those finds came just as yours--casually looking down and plucking it out, as if it were meant to be for me to see.

I won't ever pick another one the same way--thank you for sharing!

Young Miss P will find her way through, just as your boys did. It won't be the same journey, because it never is for anyone, but God's grace goes with her as you pray for Him to walk beside her. (And your boys will be a big help, too!)

My ADHD Me said...

Although I looked forward to school starting this year, I DO remember when my "babies" went to pre-school. It really was one of the hardest experiences I can remember. I came SO close to canceling...more than once. It ended up being a wonderful experience for them and for me.
They (and you) will be fine!

Kelly said...

I think this was one of those wonderful God-incidents, that God was telling you that indeed your precious girl would be just fine.

I have never found a 4 leaf clover!

On Purpose said...

Yeah for God's Grace!

What a great lesson from the 4 leaf clover...I love to hear that people are experiencing God in everyday things...okay well finding a 4 leaf clover is not an everyday thing...but you know what I mean...right?

My Army Brats and Me said...

Thank you for praying for me. I can feel it. Loving God is wonderful thing. As I fighting for my life people like you help me stay focused.
Love
Cindy

Edie said...

I never knew that about the 3 leaf clover representing the Holy Trinity and the 4th leaf representing God's Grace. I have a 4-leaf clover tucked away somewhere, that a friend of mine in high school gave to my dad. He was part Irish. I'll have to hunt it out. I think it might look nice framed with a nice graphic of your poem. Good inspiration today. Now I wonder where I put that clover...