Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Making The Most Of The Time I Have!

My cup doesn't just runneth over it's spilling all over the table and down to the floor! Our busy-ness, or marathon of activities, has me concerned,..... am I giving Mr P the time he needs? Granted, I can't add hours into the day, but I can make the most of the hours I have been given.

I need to make certain that when we do get even just a moment together I am truly listening to what he has to say, not multi-tasking as I am "listening." He needs to know that he is important to me and that I am proud of his efforts to support his family, while also going to grad school.

Late last night after his class, and his difficult day of trying to get home from a business trip, he was sharing the frustrations of his day. I was preparing lunches for the next day, and thinking of a mental "to do list" while "listening." His day would have tried the patience of Job as flight after flight became cancelled, and he spent most of the day on standby for several flights, only to finally get the last one, which still gave him time to make it to his class only 20 minutes late. To top it off, his luggage was lost.

He had hoped he'd be home early in the afternoon to grab a few hours with us before his class. Instead of compassionately listening to his overly tiring day, I selfishly thought of my own long afternoon. Three young Patterson's were missing their Daddy, and were counting on seeing him after school bus time. Redirecting them into a cupcake cooking, and decorating time soothed their disappointment but mine was still there, as I had missed him too. Thankfully the Lord held my tongue from complaining and all was peaceful.

I have been pondering today, as I know days such as these are sure to be on our horizon yet again. I want to do my best to protect our marriage during this challenging time. I want to hold on to the treasure we have found in each other so we may look back on these years with fondness instead of regret. I am realizing my attitude towards his work, career, and free time (if he can find some!) will be the compass for how our family reacts to this challenge. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "If mamma's not happy, no ones happy." Before complaining, I need to prayerfully consider, am I building him up or tearing him down?



Dear God,

You have Mr P and I on a challenging journey with three beautiful children, a wonderful church family, supportive jobs and an opportunity for growth for Mr P in advanced schooling. These are all such wonderful blessings. Help me, when the days are long to see the blessings. Help me to build up my husband. May he feel loved and safe in his home. Help me to truly listen so that hurts, can be soothed and confidence lifted. Hear my prayer, help us remember the covenant we made, watch over our family and may Your mercy and compassion cover us.

In Jesus Name, Amen.



Exodus 2:24 "God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant weith Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Isrealites and was concerned about them."


2 Corinthians 1:3-4 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Fther of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves hae received from God."


Philippians 2:1-3 "If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit but in humility consider others better than your selves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."

3 comments:

Kacey Elliott said...

I am emailing you right now! I needed to see this today!

On Purpose said...

That we would be listeners in our relationships and making living in the moment matter.

GREAT POST!!

Kelly said...

You spoke right to me tonight. Hubby late getting home, me annoyed...he had a hard day at work, who I am to fuss? Thanks for helping me hold my tongue. (You know how hard that is for me!)

I want to be a wife like you when I grow up. :-)