After pictures we settled down for my youngest son's game. They handed out this weeks devotional as we entered the fields and now I had a chance to read it. It was titled, "Trash Talking". The bible verse was Ephesians 4:29 "No rotten talk should come from your mouth, but only what is good for the building up of someone in need, in order to give grace to those who hear."
I thought about how I will smile and talk kindly to friends, acquaintances and even strangers while leaving my worst attitudes and talk for my family. Thankfully they love and forgive me but they do deserve so much better.
Right there on the ball field, before the game I silently prayed for forgiveness and for a more compassionate heart towards the many needs that my family members will have during the course of this day. Our day immediately improved as we watched my youngest son's first ever football game. Initially he looked somewhat confused as to what to do but he did make a great catch and attempt at a touchdown! He will be learning this season how to work together with others towards a common goal. He will learn how to be a part of a team!
My oldest son's game was exciting as the boys know more about the game. Amazingly they all looked to me, to be so big! He caught a long pass and almost made a touchdown!
I graciously took a grumpy, hot little sister to a shady area missing some of the game, but caring for all the needs of the Patterson's. Later we escaped the heat to celebrate at the Snow shack for snow cones.
Go Chiefs! Go Jets! Go Upwards!
6 comments:
Isn't it amazing how God speaks to us just when we need it the most!
This is what living...learning and loving is all about.
You were living the real everyday life...allowed God to teach you and then you loved us enough to pass on your moment so we could learn too!
Thank you
Again, there is no coincidence. And it does feel like you get hit in the head with a football when God comes for you like that. But, God plays like the Upward kids--He grabs your flag (gets your attention), fills you with His word, gives you encouragement, and send you right back out on the field.
Go, God, go!!
P.S. I have an Upward Cheerleading outfit with pom-poms that I am ready to pass along, if sister would like to participate on the sidelines.
Hi,
It's nice to meet you!
I so enjoyed this post and boy oh boy ... what truth in this. Our boys were in baseball when they were young and I vividly remember the sour words on and around the field; mostly from us parents. Course the kids ate it up.
I look forward to reading more out of Thee Patterson 5!
Lea
I cannot imagine you "trash talking" anyone. I think you must just be telling a parable to help us learn, rather than telling a true story. *grin*
I too love that God convicts us right where we are - even on the football field.
Have a wonderful day!
Oh those trash talk moments. Don't we all need this lesson? I know I do. What a humble and obedient heart you have.
How cute the guys look out on the field too!
Post a Comment