Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Making Mistakes--- Learning Lessons


My oldest son is in third grade and last night I went to his school for open house. His teacher is marvelous! As I looked around the room I saw a poster that said,
"If you did not do it right the first time than you must have time to do it again!"



Over the dry erase board she had the word,

RESPONSIBILITY.


She must focus on this word with her pupils as well. My son missed turning in a homework assignment last week due to what I considered my error. I placed all of the papers he brought home in a home folder thinking these were assignments he had completed in class. He had worked on a particular paper in class and on the bus as it was a homework assignment. After learning that he'd not recieved credit for his paper I found the papers I had put away and said, "Is this your homework page?" It was, and I apologized to which he replied, Mom, it is my responsibilty not yours. Of course I was very proud of my son and I felt like he'd just grown two more inches!


I enjoy preparing ahead of time for the next morning, so all will be peaceful and calm. I like to know about all of my boys homework assignments and projects so we can get on with them RIGHT AWAY!!!! My son's teacher was encouraging us to step back a bit and let our children take this on for themselves. She even said, " Let them make a few mistakes, we're all about mistakes here, because that's how we will learn." This could be a painful but important year for growth, learning, maturity, and change.


As I pray for my children's education. I pray that they will learn what God needs them to know for the jobs He has planned for them to do. I pray that they will work as if working for God and not for men. If they are working for God than I feel strongly that they must be doing their very best. It is no accident my oldest son is in this teacher's class. God had it planned out all along, knowing that he needed to learn from the experiences in her class.


She makes a scrapbook each year, allowing each child to submit a page about themselves. She told us that she keeps these and showed us the ones from years past. I imagine she learns from her students as well, and will treasures these lessons for many years!
Dear God,
I thank you for our school, which has proved to be a safe, happy, and healthy place for my children to learn. I thank you for the dedication of the teachers, who truly love the children they teach and have great hopes for their futures. May my children continue to love learning, respect their teachers and value their education. May the knowledge they get from home, church and school equip them for the plans you have laid out in advance. May my children long to follow Your will for their lives in all that they do. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Galatians 6:4-5 "Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load."
Titus 3:14 "Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives."
Matthew 25:23 "His master replied, " Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!"
Hebrews 4:13 "Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."
1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and puriy us from all unrigheousness."


5 comments:

Kacey Elliott said...

I have to say that as a counselor, I totally agree with his teacher, but as a mom it is oh sooooooooo hard to watch them make mistakes you could have helped them avoid. But many times it is the BEST way to teach children responsibility. That must have melted your heart to hear him take that responsibility - how sweet!

Anonymous said...

EEWWW! I just loved that post. I used to be a teacher and I can echo his teacher's comments...although I can only imagine how hard it must be as a parent--just as Kacey said. But you are right in recognizing that by "letting go" a little, you are letting him learn responsibility and pride in his actions, just as God has planned for him to do. Have faith in Him and faith in your son, this may just be an awesome year for growth and adventure for all of you!

Sue J. said...

There's a right way to explain a 'mistake' and a wrong way. When you go the wrong way, you put the child on the road to perfectionism. (Been there, done that; trying not to go there again with D#1 and D#2).

'Mistake' can mean a step toward responsibility, accountability, righteousness, forgiveness, etc.--all these good things. Creating the framework to allow for the mistake is the hard part because, frankly, we all SIN!

Do I fall short of allowing mistakes to occur without a positive teaching opportunity? Oh, you bet! Our heavenly Father is the One who consistently gives us grace (and more) in dealing with our mistakes. And we can definitely learn something from Him every day!

Your son is blessed with a wise teacher (not to mention, Mom)!

Edie said...

I have to admit I can be so torn on this. I am "Ms Responsibility" but have to remember, as Sue J pointed out, that there is a right way and a wrong way to teach it, and that not everyone learns it the same way.

It sounds like your son is learning well and with such a great attitude. You have good reason to be proud!

Kelly said...

I too loved this post! It reminds we of that old saying about give a person a fish and feed them for a day, teach them to fish....

You have to teach your kids to take care of themselves. That is where our society is so failing - and we have 30-something yr old living at home with their parents and no responsiblity!

Sounds like you got a great teacher...and you are a great mom. So how could you go wrong?