Friday, September 19, 2008

Random Question



Edie, at Rich Gifts, challenges us with another random question:

How do you recognize when God speaks to you?

Can you tell us about a specific time when you heard Him?

God is everywhere I look, I especially notice this when I am outdoors. I feel His presence in the wind; I hear Him through the sounds of the birds sweetly singing or in the ocean waves crashing; I feel His touch in the warm embrace of a hug; and I see Him in the eyes of others.

When I am hurried and absorbed in myself I do not notice these blessings of God's presence and I miss the blessing. When I slow down and reflect I am able to see Him everywhere.

You may ask, "What does this have to do with God speaking to you?"

God speaks to me through His Word. He reveals Himself fully there and it is waiting for me to study, pray, listen and apply. The more time I spend in His Word the more things about my life become clear to me. These reflections do not always come as I am sitting down to read but later as I am living, noticing God in the world all around me. That is when the truths I have studied come to mind and it gives me an Aha! moment.

To read about a specific time this occurred to me go to Prayers in the Park

The challenge for me is to slow down and listen. Often I rush through life, talking all the way eager to share with God all of my concerns with out stopping to listen. Spending time in the Bible slows me down as I have to focus, to understand what He is trying to say to me.

Dear God,

I thank you that You gave us Your words in the Bible to study and learn from. Your voice is clear there, if I only take the time to prayerfully listen. Sometimes Lord, it may be things I do not want to hear and I thank You for your loving patience with me, as after my denial You reveal the meaning to me and allow for my repentance and then Your forgiveness. May I continue to seek Your perfect guidance in my life. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking , correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Just fyi, your link doesn't work. You have http in there twice, so take one out and it should work, but I found the page manually anyway.

Good insights today from you! Have a wonderful day.

On Purpose said...

He has been teaching me to not limit when and where I can see. I think for a long time I only "expected" Him in certain places at certain times.

He really is everywhere all the time...I just need to be ready to see Him!

Sue J. said...

After my denial....there is repentance and forgiveness--indeed!

Now, to have the discipline to ask God to quiet my thoughts.

Excellent!

Edie said...

I love that you point out the "aha" moments in life that are brought to light because you have already been in the Word. That is so true. His Word does not return void.

Now I have to go read Prayers in the Park. Have a SUPER weekend too! ;D

My ADHD Me said...

We've all been speaking about when God speaks to use. I want to tell you when I see God. I see Him on Friday mornings when you, Chatty Kelly, Sue J and the other moms drop off their kids or drop by to say hello.
God's grace just oozes out of you guys. (gals)