Monday, September 8, 2008

Does a Praying Mantis Pray?














We discovered a visitor on our front poach! My youngest found him on the way back from the bus stop one morning. We hoped he would stay around so when the boys returned home we could show them!
Thankfully he did stay around. My middle child asked, "Is he really praying?" My oldest chimed right in to say, "If it is, it's probably praying for bugs to eat!"
We enjoyed showing our new "friend" to some of our neighboring buddies. He stuck around for two days and hopefully has found a more "buggy" place to be!
He got me thinking about prayer. His arms always seem folded in a prayerful manner, hence the name "praying" mantis.
God tells us to be prayerful in everything. To bring everything to Him in prayer.
EVERYTHING.
He promises that when we bring our concerns to Him in prayer He will give us peace, and guard our hearts and minds.
God in His mercy and goodness, has given us the Holy Spirit, so in our weakness, when we may not know what to pray for the Spirit is already interceding on our behalf. This is a huge comfort to me as often times I do not know what would be best, but I trust in the One who does.




Keep praying!
Dear God,
Thank you for the many reminders of your amazing love and creativity You have made in nature for us to discover and enjoy. May we bring all of our praises, confessions of sins, concerns, and requests to You praying for Your Will in our lives as You have great plans for us! In Jesus Name, Amen.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).
"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Romans 8:26).





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad your visitor stuck around for all of your babes to see...and it's awesome that you could use one of God's beautiful creatures to strike up a conversation for all of you about prayer! I love finding those daily "reminders" to pray, pray, pray!

Kelly said...

Kara's comment is absolutely what I was going to say. And what a great job you did, Mrs. P., of creating this wonderful teachable moment for all of us to join in on.

Great encouragement, and wonderful blog!

Edie said...

Hi Mrs P. This was Wonderful! I so love looking into the way He created "life forms". He really does give us so many reminders through them. I love your son's logical thought process too, he's probably praying for bugs to eat. Ha! So true.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

What an awesome teachable moment!! And what a great momma you are! Loved this!!

On Purpose said...

One of my favorite things is knowing that I even if I don't know how or what to pray...the Holy Spirit does...thank you for this reminder!!

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

What a lovely post! We had a praying mantis right outside our kitchen window this morning, and we took pictures, too! It was so much fun to study and appreciate one of God's fascinating creatures up close! (And I was personally glad there was a piece of glass between us! LOL!)