Monday, September 22, 2008

By Faith


I am pondering the incredible faith of Amram and Jochebed, Moses parents, as they prepared to place him into the basket onto the Nile river. Moses was just three months old. To revisit that age I searched my computer for some infant pictures. This is my baby girl at three months. She was smiling, able to hold her head up a bit, and at times VERY LOUD! I imagine Jochebed feared she could hide him no longer. She'd have to let him go. I imagine her agony must have been paralyzing. Yet God gave her faith.
If you remember the history of Moses than you know that all of the Israelite male babies were to be thrown into the Nile river after birth as decreed by the Egyptian ruler Pharaoh. He was frightened the Israelite nation was becoming too numerous and could join with their enemies and hurt Egypt. He had tried two previous times to slow down the Israelites growth, first by forcing them to be slaves with grueling labor, then he tried to convince midwives to kill all of the boy babies. So throwing the boy babies into the Nile was his last attempt.
Jochebed and her husband remembered promises from God. Promises that their peoples would out number all of the stars in the universe. Promises that after four hundred years they would be delivered from Egypt. They knew their baby boy was special right from birth, and they hid him. Not just because he was a beautiful baby but because of their faith.
Their faith encouraged them to plan and prepare. Jochebed made a basket and sealed it with tar so it would float. She sent her daughter, just eight years old to watch after the basket. I imagine she did this because if she were found to be watching everyone would know she was the mother of this precious infant.
God allowed Pharaoh's daughter heart to show compassion as she discovers the crying babe. God gave Miriam bravery, courage and cleverness as she suddenly appears and asks Pharaoh's daughter if she needs a nurse maid.
Imagine the happiness of Jochebed as she brings her precious infant back home to nurse. Her baby will live. She will again have to let him go prematurely, but she has here and now. She must have treasured each and every day, pouring her prayers, faith, and hope over this child.
God gave her faith, she prepared, and a great nation was set free by God, using her little boy!
Dear God,
May I like Jochebed, treasure everyday I have with my beautiful children. They are truly Yours and I must have faith in the ways You will use their lives for Your purposes. May I pour my prayers, faith and hope over them so the seed of Your love will be deeply planted in their hearts. May they be willing servants to further Your will. In Jesus Name, Amen.
____________________________________________________________________
Genesis 15: 5 "He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars- if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be"
Genesis 15:13b-14 "they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years. But I will punish the nation they serve as slaves, and afterward they will come out with great possessions."
Genesis 50:24 "Then Joseph said to his brothers, "I am about to die. But God will surely come to your aid and take you up and out of this land to the land he promised on oath to Abraham, Issac and Jacob."
Hebrews 11:23 "By faith Moses' parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the kings edict."

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Your post tugged my heart strings. I thought of my sweet babies at that age too.

An excellent story of faith.

Sue J. said...

Those chapters in Hebrews are so rich in retrospective....looking at the saving faith of those who came before our Messiah. I don't know how you can read their stories and not be in awe of the things they did, all out of faith.

Kind of humbles me a lot....what am I doing to show my faith? Not in demonstration to others, but out of reverence for God.

When D#1 went off to the bus--after we had some words--I can't say that I'm feeling confident that I "tarred her boat" for her safety and that she might return to me for a few short years to continue to grow.

Prayers that God will watch over all of our children, as we step forward in faith, knowing that they are His, as we are His...and that He will help us in our faith journey.

Kelly said...

Sue J - sometimes we have to tar their boat, sometimes we have to tar their heiney. LOL!

Just kidding. :D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post and beautiful picture of your "baby." CK's comment cracked me up!

My ADHD Me said...

This is the perfect post to read on those days when we need to be reminded of the treasures our children are.

The Patterson 5 said...

Hey I agree! It made me miss those infant days! The years go by so fast.

Edie said...

Oh the first thing I said (even though I'm the only one here) when your blog popped open was "Ooohhh how cute!"

Great words Mrs P and I really needed them right now. I just love that God ALWAYS goes ahead of us and He is also so very good to keep reminding us of that fact too.

Thanks for this!

Runner Mom said...

She is just beautiful! Three months was such a precious time!

We were discussing Moses and Jochebed yesterday in one of my Bible studies. The trust and faith that this mom had was unbelievable. I too want to instill that faith, daily, in my boys.

Hugs,
Susan

On Purpose said...

My boys have faith in me to feed them, clothe them and take care of them. And yet I don't always have this same simple faith in my Father?!?!