Monday, September 1, 2008

First Day Of School Cake





It is back to school day! When my boys were younger they were absolutely crazy about school buses. They'd stand by the window to watch them come by and pick up the "big kids". They could not wait to go to school. Now my boys both go to school and my youngest is excited for her school days. Every year since my oldest started Kindergarten I have made a school bus cake for the night after the first day. I read about the idea in Family Fun magazine, http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50194efinder/display?id=50194










We are never able to eat the whole cake so this year I made individual cakes, thanks to a "Joy"-ful friend who made smaller cakes last year. She used small pound cakes.




I often wonder if children remember fondly the silly little things I do to celebrate special days. Today I smiled as they discussed the fact that we were sure to have school bus cake tomorrow night!







September 2007



September 2006

We put sparklers on the cake, which added a dramatic effect, however it leaves ash on the cake.








September 2005 I could not find a cake picture but with my youngest only three months old I may have been too sleep deprived to record "the cake" picture! Here is my oldest first day of school.

I hope you have, or have had, a wonderful first day of school whether it is at home, public or private, may your days be blessed and full of the knowledge that God needs your children to learn to complete the purposes He has planned!
Philippians 1:6 "I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ.

8 comments:

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

School cake! Love it! You are just so creative. There is something exciting about the "school bus", my kids love spotting them and they've never even been on one! Go figure.

Your kids will remember, and they'll do the same kinds of things for their children becasue you have set such a wonderful example.

Although, you should start praying for your son's wives now, they have a high standard to live up to!

Kelly said...

What a fun idea. I'm going to check it out. Maybe we'll give it a try too!

Have a good day and don't "worry." The first day is as hard on the moms as the kids I think. I'll be anxious all day. :-)

Sue J. said...

D#2 had a "Wheels on the bus" cake for her birthday. And, that is her first week's theme at preschool. This was her first day on a school bus that would take her to school and not a field trip. As sleeping and resistant as she was, she was very excited about getting on the bus!

So, off she went, and then I found myself at the entrance of the boo-hoo club!

And D#1 is at the point where having your mom at the bus stop is really not necessary. So, I waved from the porch :-)

OK....sorry to go off in your comments section here. We LOVE Family Fun ideas and have baked for the bus stop crew before. It's great to coax them into the new schedule and provide a memory or two!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a great idea! My daughter #1 is very anxious about starting 3rd grade this year (Let the SOLs begin!) Daughter #2 is rather upset this morning that she has one more year before she can get on the bus. I am off to the grocery store now to buy my supplies to make this cake. Daugher #1 will be so surprised when she comes home this afternoon. And, Daughter #2 might forget about being sad while she helps me make the cake. Perhaps you have started a family tradition in my home too. You're GREAT!! VK

On Purpose said...

You bet your children will remember the fun things you do to make them feel important. You are showing them that they matter to you. Way to go!

My ADHD Me said...

Will they remember? YES! Especially if YOU forget to do it one year.
I used to have a little "something" for them when they got home from the first day of school. (Nothing anywhere near as creative as your bus cakes!).
They got older and the little "somethings" started to seem insignificant so I let the tradition dwindle away.
This morning JM says to Alberquando, "Remember when mom used to buy us something every year for the first day of school? Remember, back when she loved us?"
Then they laughed and said they were kidding.
Guess who went to the store today....(I'm a sucker)

Edie said...

I love your school bus cakes! That is such a great idea, and they look so yummy too. This will surely be a keeper memory in their little hearts.

Kacey Elliott said...

Oh wow! What a fabulous idea! Is it okay if I "borrow" that idea? My mom never really commemorated these special days when we were kids, so I am making it a point to do extra special things such as this to provide a legacy for my kids. You are such a fabulous mom; of course they will remember this and the million other special things you do for them!