This is my Bible.
It is the Word of God.
It is called the sword of the Spirit.
And it is my spiritual weapon.
I am who it says I am.
I have what it says I have.
I can do what it says I can do.
Devil!
I am armed and should be considered dangerous.
As I operate according to the Word of God.
My mind is alert.
My heart is receptive.
I will never be the same again
Yesterday this came to mind as our speaker at BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) talked about the Bible. She shared all of the things the Bible is to her: battery charger- to recharge each day in God's word; energizer- to keep her going; flash light- to light her path; tranquillizer- to calm her down; warm blanket- to feel comforted and surrounded by God's love. She also shared God's word can also be a sword -to conflict us of things in our lives that need not be there and that can be painful, like a stab with a sword. She shared these examples:
God wants us to be slow to anger. I am quick to get angry.
He wants us to forgive 77 times. Giving forgiveness to those who hurt us can be hard.
God wants us to be humble and I like to toot my own horn.
He longs for us to shine like the stars in the universe by our good attitudes while I argue and complain.
Truthes like these can hurt as we realize we need to change.
I had always thought of the Bible as a sword in battle with the Devil himself. I hoped I'd know the Word well enough to quote it as Jesus did after spending 40 days out in the wilderness and then was tempted by Satan. He used the Word of God and won a battle against evil.
I never thought about using "the sword" against the evil that is inside me.
My boys have a book called Will, God's Mighty Warrior by Sheila Walsh. Inside the book Will's dad says, "The battles you fight with God's armor can be in your heart, Will."
I am battling the devil with the sword of the Spirit, God's Word. Only the battle field isn't only out there in the world, it is also in my heart.
Dear God,
I thank you for Your Word which You have given us so that we may learn about Your character, Your love for us and how You want us to live. As I walk with You daily in Your word may I become transformed into the servant You desire me to be. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Ephesians 4:26-27 "In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold."
James 1:19-20 "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires"
James 14:6 "As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil."
Philippians 2:14- "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like the stars in the universe.
Matthew 18:21-22 "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy seven times."
5 comments:
Oh dear Mrs P, every word you spoke here touched my heart in some way. Your list was conviction to my own heart.
Today I found myself becoming more and more discouraged as the day went on and finally realized that I was listening to the enemy and needed to stop cowering and fight back by placing my thoughts under the authority of Jesus Christ.
I needed to read this to help strengthen me today. Thank you much.
I immediately thought of the verse in Hebrews..."For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joins and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." (4:12)
It's not just looking at our outward problems, although we have plenty of those. When we aren't fully committed to God and His Word, then we have stuff in our hearts that shouldn't be there. And the sword of the Spirit is good for trimming (OK....deep-gutting, sometimes, yes?) the bad stuff out.
Thanks for this post! Great illustrations today....
Wow - that one hit home. Let's face it, most of my battles are within. I am so thankful for God's words to help me win the battle. I have taken to praying Psalm 119. I want to know God's word so much and have it in my heart.
I loved reading the Bible mantra...how true it is. And I love things like this so I can get them stuck in my head and heart...and use them over and over.
I also love to hear how God uses His living word to reach each one of us, touch us, change us, protect us...the same living word and how it affects us all differently!
I actually kept the verse James 1:19-20 on my kitchen windowsill, until it got damp from sink water! (I seem to spend a lot of time at my sink with three small kids, prepping food, and dishes galore!) It really helped me out in times of frustration or lack of patience in my home...maybe I need to rewrite it and post it next to my sink again!
Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment