This morning I was awakened by a huge clap of thunder. It was so loud that it knocked off a picture from the kitchen wall downstairs! I immediately ran to each child's room to make sure all were well and safe. They all were and only my youngest was awake so I gathered her up for some extra snuggle snooze time!
Our next study segment for our church's children Sunday School is the story of Jonah. Mr P and I are helping in the drama room. We plan to have a big refrigerator box, covered in blue tarp (the big fish) and we will help the children put on a play about Jonah's adventure. I have also been thinking about signs this week after reading Wonder Woman Wonders.
God had told Jonah to deliver a message to the people of Ninevah. God wanted to tell them He noticed how cruel and evil they had become. God wanted Jonah to warn them to change their ways or God would punish them. Jonah did not want to go to such a evil place and he thought that their evil ways deserved God's wrath so he headed away from Ninevah on a ship.
A terrible storm came. I imagine the thunder may have been louder than even this mornings storm. Jonah realized this was a sign from God, voicing His displeasure with Jonah. Jonah cared enough for the other sailors to tell them to throw him overboard so that the storm would pass and they would not perish. Jonah was sure he would die but God in his mercy had a big fish swallow him. There he was in a stinky, wet, dark and scary place praising God for saving him from drowning. Jonah repents of his sin of disobedience and gets a second chance. The fish deposits Jonah on shore after three days.
He goes on to Ninevah, warns the people they repent and God shows mercy. Jonah then pouts because these people do not get in trouble. They are forgiven. He sets up a camp for himself just beyond the city to see what will happen. God causes a bush to grow to give Jonah comfort and shade. The next day it dies and withers away providing no shade. Jonah gets hot and thinks he surly will die from the heat. God tells Jonah, you are concerned for a bush you did not plant or care for. It just appeared one day and was gone the next. Don't you think I should be concerned for the 120,000 people of Ninevah who did not know how to act? God wanted Jonah to change his attitude to be concerned about God's people, all people. God loves all people and will forgive them when they repent.
Dear God,
Help me to be like Jonah, in listening to Your voice, and in repenting when I fail to listen. Help me to obey with a loving attitude towards Your people, being careful not to judge as that is not for me to do. May I see all Your people as You do, not as I think Christians should look. May I have an attitude of gratitude rejoicing when a lost sheep has been gathered back into the flock. Thank you for your grace and mercy that is given to us freely, we only need to ask. In Jesus Name, Amen.
God loves all people and will forgive them when they repent. We, like Jonah, are called to tell others about God.
I encourage you to read the book of Jonah. (It is short only four chapters long)
Matthew 12:39-41 "But he answered them, "An evil and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea monster, so for three days and three nights the Son of Man will be in the heart of the earth."
Micah 7:18
"Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.
Luke 6:36 "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."
3 comments:
What a great post and a great reminder. Jonah was someone who really displayed what we are really like. His positive traits were outstanding but he still had some negatives that we pretty harsh too. Don't we all. God is so loving to patiently teach us and show us our faults to bring about postive change.
I noticed you included a Link too. It seems to be the latest craze in blogging. Have you noticed? :D
A great and informative post, and thanks for the link too!
Your students will be blessed by you & Mr. P and the big blue whale tale.
D#2 has been listening to the Veggies' version of the Jonah story, which was wonderfully done for kids. The Ninevites were much worse than what the Veggies' version proclaimed ("Stop hitting people with fish!")....and so it's not surprisingly that Jonah didn't want to go.
I know we can relate to the first part of his story, because there are plenty of places God calls us to that we would rather not set foot in. What always catches me off guard is Jonah's bitterness, even having seen the Lord at work in His midst.
Not to say I'm not bitter sometimes, but Jonah's story is truly one to reflect on in those times--as I don't want to complain after my God has delivered such grace!
Post a Comment