Edie, from Rich Gifts, challenges us again with an even more difficult question than last week.
What quality of Christ's do you most see in yourself? Tell us about it.
God designed me to be happiest when I am a helper. I do not enjoy being "in charge" or even "the leader" - I love being a helper.
When I was in ninth grade I chose to be a nurse thanks to my Uncle John. We were on a family beach trip and he shared his thoughts that nursing would be a profession that would suit my personality. My parents, nor I were certain this was a perfect fit until I began my clinical training (the class work was difficult for me and most everyone I've talked to.) Once I met my first patient I was hooked! She was recovering from open heart bypass surgery and would soon be going home. I helped with her bath, changed her bed, brushed her hair, and I was delighted to be able to take out the staples they had in her leg (they don't use those anymore) from where the surgeons has harvested a vein. As I sat and talked with her and saw her comfortably smiling I knew this was what God put in my heart to do!
Even though my job is far from glamorous, (now I work weekends for an urgent care center) I do get extreme satisfaction from the care I give to my patients. Each life that I come in contact with I begin my assessment by silently praying for each ailment, even the ones I can not see, that may be hurts only God knows about. As I am carrying out the physicians orders I pray for wisdom and skill for our medical team. Later once things have stabilized I pray for their families that they may have comfort and patience as getting medical care sometimes takes lots of waiting. Most nights I work I find myself- even days after- praying for them, hoping for wellness physically and spiritually.
So, back to the question. I think the most Christ like quality I have is the desire to serve. I don't have to be a nurse to serve. I can serve my family in the meals I prepare, house tidying and laundry that I do. I can serve my neighbor by helping with a project or simply by listening to a story she'd like to share. I can serve in a million ways I only need to open my heart to Christ so He can open my eyes to these situations.
Another blogging buddy, Living My Life On Purpose, also has a challenge for us, one I think we all will enjoy doing as it is the way Jesus wants us to live.
Dear God,
Thank you for making us all with many different attributes so that all together we may shine the light of Christ to the world. May I continue to serve You through serving others with an attitude of love that You have for Your people. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."
Ephesians 4:32 a "Be kind and compassionate to one another."
1 Corinthians 12:12 "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ."
8 comments:
I remember years ago when you were doing cardiac care, how you shared how you prayed over each patient as you worked on them. I remember thinking how blessed any one would be who was lucky enough to have you as their nurse. I'm glad you see your ability to serve, because I see Christ in you, in your service. You are a blessing to many. Thank you.
I am in agreement with Kelly, you are a blessing. You are a blessing to your family, your patients, your friends, neighbors, and to me! Thank you for confirming the challenge for me today!!
Hi Mrs P - I'm so glad you join in this challange. I thoroughly loved reading how God has given you such a servant heart.
I worked in the medical field for about 15 years but could not do back office. There are times when you have to hurt people to help them and I just couldn't handle that. God made me more of an "in charge" type, and I'm finally beginning to understand that that's not a bad thing. :)
My daughter has gone through Medical Assistant training and like you, is totaly in her element with patients.
I'm loving your servants heart.... so you think maybe you could help me get to that beach!? :D
You and compassion go hand in hand...just in the way you relate to people. Kindness abounds. Thoughtful words. Reassurance. So glad you recognized that calling so early on, and that God guided you through the tough stuff of the training. He knew all along what you should do and who you should be.
Thank you for being the person you are!
And this blog you've started presents a completely different side of you sometimes, which tickles me!
You are such a blessing to others! That is so neat to see your servants heart. That truly is a Christ-like quality. If me, or a loved one, were in the holspital, I'd want you to be there nurturing and praying. Thank you for serving!
Love,
Sonya
To be a nurse,I think,takes someone special! To place others needs before your own is defintly a gift from God.
I know as Christians we should
always want to serve others but for some of us it just comes easier.
God Bless you,
Tammy
I am still sometimes searching for how I am exactly meant to serve.
You are a gift to us all and I know each patient is SO very lucky to have you care for them.
We are all lucky to have you in our lives.
I knew from the first day I met you at MOPS, in the 3 year old room, that you were meant to serve and help just from the sheer joy that exuded from you with the kids. What a blessing you are to others and so glad God has called you to use your talents in such wonderful ways!
Post a Comment