My daughter and I happily hosted a "car" wash for the jeeps and dump trucks -- another of this breed of spider came out, so I captured it too. By the time the third one came out I decided stomping might be the best action, thinking surely this is not a dangerous breed, as there is more than one.
Mr P came home and right away said, "Yes it is a black widow." I insisted he go out and inspect the sandbox, the toys, and all areas children roam free. He was not alarmed or upset. I was ready to call for a total outdoor extermination! I read online about increasing the wren population in your yard to cut down on spiders and how they do not like Lemon Pledge furniture polish.
Mr P sat the children down with our two prisoners and showed them their markings. He gave them instructions on how this spider is not aggressive and will want to run away, but if not able too, could bite them and make them sick. He advised them if they see this spider to get up quickly and go get mom or dad. He went on to describe what their web is like so that if they see this type web they will stay away. The children remained calm and were sure they could identify the danger and avoid it.
I was still in freak out mode hoping some spray or pesticide could be offered up to rid our yard of such a ominous beast. Mr P explained this danger is not new or uncommon. These spiders have been in our yard before and our best defense is to be aware of what to look for so when we see them we can destroy their web, and well, stomp on them.
It makes me think about the evil in the world. I am often so surprised and shocked by it. How could such a thing happen? Our times seem so much more evil to me than times past. Yet to God there is nothing new under the sun. Evil has been here since the times of Adam and Eve. God is not surprised by it and He's provided us protection from it. We do not have to be afraid.
I also do not have to be afraid in my back yard, but if you see me running around spraying a can of Pledge please bear with me!
Dear God,
I am thankful that nothing surprises you and that even when bad things happen you work them for good for those who love You. You are in control of all in this lifetime and for eternity. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 "What has been is what will be, and what has ben done is what will be done; there is nothing new under the sun."
Jeremiah 17:7 "But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him."
Romans 8:28 "We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. "
4 comments:
Wow - this does scare me a little. But I am a big baby. I posted on this similar subject while you were on vacation (girl in the plastic bubble).
The same reason I don't like outside (bugs might get me!) is the reason I like my bubble (bad people might get me!). But God calls us to go out into the world. So I guess I need to do just that.
But how about indoor playtime at the Patterson's house tonight? SMILES!
So glad you found them and not the boys! If they are anything like my son, he loves to pick up bugs and spiders and "inspect" them - freaks me out! We had that talk in the beginning of the summer after seeing a few of those around here - they appear to like Little Tikes Houses too - BEWARE! But think of it like this, they must have some purpose in the world or God wouldn't have created them; perhaps it is to just remind and to keep some other pesky insect in check. Sometimes evil has its own way of doing that :-) There is always something worse lurking...
And God did give us some control over His creation....so "telling" dangerous spiders that they have invaded your space isn't completely out of His will. It's just so difficult for me to come to terms with the fact that something so small can have so much potential power and danger!
Your hubby did a wonderful thing in educating the kids. They are all so smart; I wouldn't be surprised to overhear them teaching their friends the difference in spiders very soon.
one word:
JUNEBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!
(or is that 2?)
Post a Comment