Yesterday afternoon I had a chance to catch up with a good friend for an extended phone conversation. My children were busy with Lego's so I had opportunity to really talk! It was a treat to catch up with my friend.
Once we'd caught up on each of our family's vacations and happenings she reported on a prayer request she'd made on behalf of a friend,who lives far away, months ago. A friend I do not know, but due to her circumstances my heart aches for her as a fellow sister in Christ. Her marriage is in trouble and has been for some time. She is committed to the covenant she made, but is lonely and hurting. They have two girls and lost a child three years ago, which caused her and her husband increased despair.
We talked about marriage and how hard it can be sometimes even under the best of circumstances. It made me think about how on the surface many marriages may look perfect, when in fact they probably are alot like everyone elses- a work in progress.
Before my wedding my mom shared how later in marriage I may not feel loving towards my husband. (At the time I was thinking, oh that will NEVER happen to Mr P and I.) She went on to add that love is a choice not a feeling. You can love without feeling love because you choose too. Thinking on that now, God's love is like that. He chooses to love me even when I am sinful and unlovable. Even when I let Him down He is there loving me. He made a covenant through the life of His son to love me.
My friend and I ended our conversation, promising to continue to pray for her friend. Praying that she may have strength, patience and perseverance in her decision to stay in her marriage. Praying that her husband's heart will be softened and again open to her. Praying that they may make a friendship with a Christ like couple in their church who will mentor to them during this difficult time. Praying they will choose to love even though they do not feel love.
Dear God,
Please cover all of the marriages out there that are hurting with Your love. May hearts be softened, forgiveness be granted, understanding be given, and love chosen. May flames be rekindled so that they can see the love they once promised to cherish. Your love can heal their hurts, may they turn to You and then to eachother. In Jesus Name, Amen.
1 Peter 3:4 "Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."
1 Corinthians 13:4-6 "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres."
1 John 4:9-10 "This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."
1 John 4:19 "We love because he first loved us."
3 comments:
It's so hard for us to be able to "Love" in our society today! We can't even fathom what true love is - God is love.
Thank you for praying for all marriages. Because we are all sinners, we all have bad days. But God is good, all the time!
Just wondering if your big boy is home from camp...can't wait to hear all about it.
Ooh, I loved this post. It is hard sometimes to remember to choose love in a lot of situations...and yes, sometimes marriage. I am thankful that we have God's love to teach us how to love and show us how to love one another. Great post!
Post a Comment