Monday, August 11, 2008

Off at Camp

My oldest is away at camp for 72 hours, well now 60 hours and 33 minutes, yes I am counting! My husband and I grew up going to camp for a week every summer since we were eight years old. We both went to Camp Grier, a church camp in the mountains of NC. We even became counsellors there during our college years. That is where we initially met. My children have visited Camp Grier with us many times especially when the director we worked under was still there. They've heard all our stories, some I'm sure have grown taller year by year. I should not have been surprised when our oldest wanted to go. Camp Grier is too far so we found a similar camp nearby to our home.

This type of camp gives the opportunity to participate in a 24 hour a day experience in Christian group living in the out-of-doors, through which the counselors and campers involved can find meaning and purpose for their lives.

This takes place in the warmth and security of a small group where each person is helped to find himself and has the opportunity to contribute to the well-being of others.

In this experience of simple living in a small group in the out-of-doors: Counselors and campers are truly participants as they take part in planning the activities of each day and helping make decisions which affect their lives, they develop a stake in their own program.


My husband and I have shared with each other, and our children how our faith was nurtured and grew while we were at camp as campers and especially as counsellors. I am not certain if my parents saw the fruit of this time while I was growing up, but they have seen it in my life as an adult.

My mother said my first time at camp while dropping me off I seemed nervous and did not mingle with other campers. She encouraged me to go and talk to a nearby little girl since she might be in my group. I said, "Well she might not." and stayed by my mom's side until the counsellors helped us all become friends.

My son asked us, myself and his younger siblings, not to get out of the car, he could handle his luggage and he'd already made a friend (we'd been there two minutes). We did get out and helped him get set up in his bunk. I even coerced him into posing for this picture. (No other campers were looking).

I am excited for my son in the discoveries he will make about his God, the adventurous outdoors, living in community and serving others, and also things he will learn about himself. He may never tell me of these things, but I pray I will get to see the fruits when he becomes a man.

Dear God,
Oh how bitter sweet my children's growing up can be. It's hard for me to let them venture out from under the safety of my wing-so that they can learn who and whose they are- not just who I want them to be. Help me to trust in the safety of Your wing over them and the plans You have for their lives. Keep my son safe. May his adventures be fun but mostly I long for him to seek You and to grow to be the man You planned. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Today my son is studing Gen 2:4b-22
He is learning about relationship.
"Campers will hear and explore the story of God creating the first garden and be invited into relationship with God and each other and learn to care for God's creation. Campers will:
  • Be intorduced to ways they can grow in a relationship with God.
  • Discover connectedness within camp and settle in
  • Explore ways they can care for creation at camp

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh sweet Mrs P...I can't imagine dropping off my oldest and being told to wait in the car! He is certainly growing up fast. And what a mature young man.

Be proud of what you have instilled in him. Great job, mom.

Kacey Elliott said...

Stay strong :-) - I can only imagine how hard that was to leave him. I am not looking forward to that, but I know it is an important part of growing up. He sounds so mature! I am sure he will come back with some fabulous stories, just as you did as a kid. Only 66 more hours!