We stopped and read the Gettysburg address and were thankful for a President who helped us hold true to equality for all peoples.
The walk back to the van was a long one. Long walks seem to spur on deep thoughts from our middle son. He picked up on a conversation from almost two weeks ago about a serious subject of death (see Hiking With My Boys) He picked up on it like there had been no time in between. Out of the blue he said, "Well what about when a baby dies only a few seconds after being born -how did the baby do God's purpose." I answered as best I could since there are so many hard questions I just do not have the answer for. I told him I believe we are all connected and our lives are all intertwined. We each help each other complete our purpose for God. I shared that perhaps my purpose in this world my simply be to be their mom and teach them about God so that they will be properly equipped for their lives and their purpose. I suggested the baby's short life could have been so the parents of that child could help others with loss or to promote the sanctity and beauty of life. I think my answer was too wordy as by the time I finished they were on to another topic.
Nearly back to the van we saw a carousel and just had to ride!
As we were driving away by the capitol building we noticed an out door concert going on. The sign read One big family under God. It was a group promoting world peace. It made me think again how even though we did not know any of the peoples around us they are all God's and He wants us all to be His children. Our lives are intertwined and everything we do affects others.Dear God,
Thank you for our country and the many freedoms we have that I know I have often taken for granted. I am especially thankful for the freedom we have to worship You openly. As we travelled home we passed Arlington cemetery-I am thankful for these solders who gave their lives for others, following the example of Jesus. Please comfort their families with the hope they will see them again in heaven. In Jesus Name, Amen.
6 comments:
What a fun trip. You guys have so much fun and make everything a teaching experience. I'm really in awe of you.
Thanks for the inspiring words.
Oh, yes....Such fun! I remember D.C. the first time--high school, choral exchange trip.... So mesmorized by the monuments! So many wonderful things in such close proximity!
Glad you all had such great trips! D#2 is still too small to appreciate a museum, so I totally understood where you were coming from on this one! It's still fun, and will be remembered for a long time to come.
Check in soon!
I LOVE those impromptu trips...they always seem to turn out the best. And I agree with CK, you guys always make everything so teachable and fun!
And, I finally caught up on the last few posts I had missed. LOVE the vacation pictures, they're absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing--so glad you all are enjoying your summer!
We had a family from church that took the train to DC this past weekend. We want to go back..you don't appreciate that when you go every year in elementary school!
Thanks for coming by my blog. I added a substitution in the comment form. You can use frozen peaches..but I still like fresh.
What a fun trip! It's great to do those one day field trips and DC is one of our very favorite stops!
It is awesome to think that God died for ALL of the people out there.
Your prayer was beautiful.
Glad you had a fun trip.
I agree with the majority. You guys always seem to have fun and do great family things.
Post a Comment