Since our oldest boy is still away at camp, (only 13 hours to go!) my husband has taken this opportunity for some big man time with our middle son. He is amazed at how much information this one on one time has generated. He's learned about all of our son's favorite sports; soccer, Tae Kwon Doe, swimming and of course football. These are basically all the sports he has ever tried but it was fun for my husband to listen to him talking so enthusiastically!
The summer before we had children we'd gone on a camping trip to West Virginia to raft the New River and to celebrate our third wedding anniversary. We met a nice young man of 14 and his dad. His dad shared with us that this trip was a coming of age trip that he'd also done two years earlier with his oldest and plans to do again in a few years with his youngest. He and his wife routinely planned special outings with each of their children for one on one time. Since we were praying for a child of our own at the time, we both marveled at what a wonderful idea this family had.
I've noticed that when I ask my boys about their day or about an activity or outing they were involved in I get short one word answers. Conversely, if I do not ask but do an activity with them like throwing the football in the back yard, or jog along side them while they ride their bike I learn so much more. More information that I would even think to ask.
I am so thankful that God has placed our lives in such a way that my husband and I can spend lots of time with our children. Time just for the ordinary daily tasks of life that sometimes lay way to learning experiences for all of us.
Dear God,
You have blessed us with three amazing children. I know they truly are Yours, and I only get to hold them for a short while. May I treasure every sweet moment and not take for granted even the mundane tasks of mothering. You have created them each with unique personalities, talents and preferences. May I be sensitive to each individual trait so as to love them and know them as You do! In Jesus Name, Amen.
Isaiah 40:11 "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
The summer before we had children we'd gone on a camping trip to West Virginia to raft the New River and to celebrate our third wedding anniversary. We met a nice young man of 14 and his dad. His dad shared with us that this trip was a coming of age trip that he'd also done two years earlier with his oldest and plans to do again in a few years with his youngest. He and his wife routinely planned special outings with each of their children for one on one time. Since we were praying for a child of our own at the time, we both marveled at what a wonderful idea this family had.
I've noticed that when I ask my boys about their day or about an activity or outing they were involved in I get short one word answers. Conversely, if I do not ask but do an activity with them like throwing the football in the back yard, or jog along side them while they ride their bike I learn so much more. More information that I would even think to ask.
I am so thankful that God has placed our lives in such a way that my husband and I can spend lots of time with our children. Time just for the ordinary daily tasks of life that sometimes lay way to learning experiences for all of us.
Dear God,
You have blessed us with three amazing children. I know they truly are Yours, and I only get to hold them for a short while. May I treasure every sweet moment and not take for granted even the mundane tasks of mothering. You have created them each with unique personalities, talents and preferences. May I be sensitive to each individual trait so as to love them and know them as You do! In Jesus Name, Amen.
Isaiah 40:11 "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
1 comment:
Your comment is so true. "Quality Time" as it is often called, is where you learn the most about your kids.
And for me, when I tuck mine in for sleep, that is when she wants to talk the most.
Post a Comment