The children climbed a magical tree, ran through sprinklers, sought out turtles and cute baby fish. They marveled over a caterpillar living inside a love puff (a kind of plant). We picnicked along with a school group and enjoyed their prayer which was allot like the one we say. Our littlest girls compassionately listened to a young girls woe of a skinned knee. Our children played Indian houses, and made up Indian names for each other. They befriended a toad, who later will need trauma counselling from the amount of love he received. We were chased by a bumblebee seeking a beautiful flower. They caught another toad, who we encouraged them not to love quite so much!
The fun day ended with a slight amount of drama from tired little girls, so we knew it was time to go. As I was driving back to our home, hoping a nap could surely be in my future, I thought about how this magical day was so full of wonder for our children. Each path, flower, bug, turtle, fish, taste and smell was remarked on and savoured. Most things to them are full of wonder and they are eager to investigate. May I return to that. Taking time to savour the day with them. Take time to smell the roses I've always heard. How about, "Take time to catch the toad." or "Take time to treasure the puffy tickling part of a plant." I don't think these phrases will become well known, but for me, perhaps they should!
Dear God,
I thank you for good friends and outdoor adventures! Two of my favorite things in one day! What a blessing! Lord, may I treasure each little amazing thing you have given us in this world. I feel like You must smile as Your littlest children discover small treasures and wonders You have made in our world. In Jesus Name, Amen.
A song for the day!
chorus
All things bright and beautiful,
All things great, and all things small,
All things wise, and wonderful,
God, our Father, created them all.
Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings.
He made their glowing colours,
He made their tiny wings.
All things bright…
The purple headed mountain,
The river running by,
The sunset and the morning
That brightens up the sky.
All things bright…
The cold wind in the winter,
The pleasant summer sun,
The ripe fruits in the garden,
He made them every one.
All things bright…
He gave us eyes to see them,
And lips that we might tell,
How great is God almighty,
Who has made all things well.
All things bright and beautiful,
all things great and all things small,
all things wise and wonderful
God our Father, created them all!
3 comments:
Oh...an excellent day, indeed! I was thinking of you guys and just shared with CK how this was one of the places D#1 and I loved to visit before she was a preschooler! Loved to ramble and check things out--especially those hungry koi!
The best part of all these journeys is seeing your kids pick up on how special they are. "Mom, when can we go back to the gardens?" D#1 asks me that a few times a year. Maybe this is the year I reconsider membership and have a whole new experience with her.
Just being in God's creation is inspiring on so many levels, and I have no doubt that He intended it to be that way.
My, my what cute kids you had with you. :-) It was a special day for sure.
At bedtime prayers my littlest one prayed "thank you God that the frog loved me so much." (Notice not that she loved the frog, but that he loved her.) It was such a fun & special day for everyone... well maybe not the frog.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
I just love this! You captured the Wonder of God so well here, I can't help but smile. You are so right, His Wonder is all around us if we just look.
"They befriended a toad, who later will need trauma counselling from the amount of love he received." This made me Laugh out Loud! (still laughing... poor little toad.)
Nice meeting you.
Post a Comment