Monday, August 4, 2008

A Little Slice of Heaven

We vacation yearly to The Green Nook , a cabin in Montreat North Carolina. To many this spot is thought of as a little slice of heaven, as it is such a peaceful place to visit. Montreat is home to a Presbyterian conference center and a Christian college. Montreat is such a treat! I thought I would share some photos of our visit and snippets of our adventures!



We had a fabulous time in Montreat this summer! If you have ever seen a pin ball machine while the ball goes up and bounces back down-that's what the boys were like on arrival- bouncing off the walls excited!













Each morning the children would bound down the mountain to play in the creek. My littlest was right along with the boys, hunting for crayfish and salamanders.




















We enjoyed hiking up Look Out. Our youngest hiked most of the way, or at least more of the hike than last year. She truly was happier to ride than hike!









My cousin and her boys (aged 6 and 8, just like mine) came for the day to visit! The boys loved peering into the lake at the trout and especially at the HUGE bullfrog tadpoles. My husband lead us on a very long creek walk which ended into a hike to a Mica mine (Mica is a rock that peels away into thin sheets, which was long ago used in glass making. After the boys selected a shiny Mica treasure we were off to the cabin. Coming home at the end of each adventure was just as fun since other children were there, and could share in a street baseball game.
I had hoped to spend many a relaxing afternoon on the porch immersed in bible study and personal reflection, however I spent many treasured moments outdoors celebrating the wonders of God's creation with my children. I will treasure these days as they so excitedly explored each insect, each cloud in the sky, and each interesting plant they passed along their way.









So long Montreat! See you next year!

An Old Irish Blessing
May the road rise up to meet you.May the wind always be at your back.May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields.And until we meet again,May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


5 comments:

Sue J. said...

OK...so maybe THAT last photo is the Christmas card this year :-)

I think we can feel guilty, sometimes, over how time with God is spent--as if enjoying His creation (natural soundings and children give) is somehow not "as good" as reading His Word. We talk a lot in posts about finding balance. I don't think God intends us to hear Him through one source, necessarily. God can tell us a lot in precious moments in His creation with our kids!

And you closed with the Irish blessing. My grandmother was Irish, and we closed our wedding ceremony with this as the benediction. Never ceases to bring a smile--much like Mrs. P's photos!

Kelly said...

I had to laugh about all the time you thought you'd spend on the front porch. Did you forget you were bringing your kids? LOL! I've found while vacation is a wonderful change of location...it is still the usual amount of "work" for mom - cooking, cleaning, laundry & child care. Just without the daily interruptions of phone, computer & TV.

I hope you were still refreshed.

Another Irish Blessing:
“May those that love us love us
may those who don’t love us
may God turn their hearts
and if God cannot turn their hearts
may he turn their ankles
so that we may know them
by their limping.”

haha.

The Patterson 5 said...

I am giggling about CK's Irish blessing!
I like Irish blessings too!

Kacey Elliott said...

What beautiful photos of your children! It looks like you all had a lot of fun; it sounds like a wonderful place. Your little one is looking more and more like you every time I see her. The simple fact that you were able to really enjoy God's creations through your children, shows how in touch with him you really were. His goodness is all around us; we just have to remember to stop and take a look - sounds like you did :-)

My ADHD Me said...

I'm glad you had fun.
While you were gone, we all went through a "TAGGING" frenzy. Look on any of our blogs to get the rules (mine was called, "TAG-You're it").
And Now......
CONSIDER YOURSELF TAGGED!!!!