Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wreath Of Helping Hands

We are celebrating the Adventure of Christmas! We are expectantly waiting and preparing for the celebration of the the birth of Jesus! This time of preparation is sometimes called Advent. Advent means "to come". We are called to be expectantly, and readily waiting for Jesus' coming all year long, in everything we do. So as we prepare for Christmas let this season of Advent serve a duel purpose; to remind us of the birth of our Messiah, and to encourage us to wait expectantly for His second coming.



I do not like to wait, in fact I am slightly impatient. Since having children, I have learned that a toddler waiting along with you in a grocery line has even less patience with waiting than I do. While we waited, we sing or play pat a cake. So a toddlers wait time became a fun time with Mommy.
What can we do while waiting for Christmas?
We can focus on Jesus, through Bible study, prayer, worship and fellowship with fellow believers. Another way is by serving others as Jesus taught us to do. As a family on this first Sunday of Advent we are going to sit down and list ways we can serve others in our home, at church, and in the community. We'll learn and grow closer to Christ during our wait time.



Together with the children and families at our church we will make wreathes of helping hands during the Sunday School hour. Each family unit will have a bare wreath and will trace and cut out each family members hand tracings. Families will discuss ways they can serve throughour the Christmas season. Later we will print out on each tracing a way in which a family member has served and place it on the wreath. Even the youngest children can serve with hugs, kisses, songs and smiles. Each family member should try to add a tracing every day! By Christmas time our wreaths will be full of greens! What a joyous Christmas it will be through serving others!




Dear God,

During this season of Advent allow us to savour each moment as we prepare for Your Son's birthday party! May Jesus not get lost in all of the hustle and bustle this time of year can bring. May we keep Jesus the center of all of our holiday celebrating! May we truly enjoy the wonderment, excitement and adventure this Christmas!

In Jesus Name,

Amen

Mark 13:35-37

"Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back-whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you , I say to everyone: "Watch!"

5 comments:

Edie said...

I love the advent wreath and the lesson on serving. An of course on keeping Christ as the Center. :)

Greg C said...

I love the wreath too. I am reading Mark now and just read the passage you quoted. I posted about that a short time ago. I hopped over here from Edie's blog.

Kelly said...

You do the most fun stuff.

Hope you guys had a fun Thanksgiving, and will talk to you soon!

Sue J. said...

That's a nice new tradition for you guys! Does that mean your tree is up already?! I should have your crew come over and lend a hand with our celebratory items!

We have the Advent ark out (It really is Noah's ark, and you open up the doors to reveal the animals inside--and put them up on the deck). They'll all be up by Christmas.

I like your green backdrop, too. Something to think about for this week.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Love this idea! What a great way to teach our kids! I've been looking for ideas and this is perfect!