Monday, November 17, 2008

Honoring God In Our Homes

Behind closed doors, in our homes, when we are with those who love us best, would they say we are honoring God with the way we live our lives? Would they say our words are full of patience, and love, or would there be a moments pause as they thought about an angry outburst or a sour attitude? Are we living lives that truly honor God? Are we honoring God in our homes?

When I think of honor I think of worship, adore, respect, and regard with devotion. The ultimate of regarding with devotion is to be a disciple, a follower. Being a disciple takes discipline.

Jesus taught that as Christians we are to be noticed for how we love one another. We are commanded to love one another with the same love that God has given us.

In our homes, are we easily provoked, do we think good or bad of people, are we puffed up -- elevating ourselves -- or are we humble, and over all, are we kind? These are questions we need to ask ourselves.

We must seek to honor God and to love. To love with patience, even in our thoughts. Always thinking the best of one another. Love by showing kindness, having compassion with one another, being tender-hearted, courteous, and seeking peace. All of these actions take the discipline of a relationship with God, discipleship, as we can not do all of this on our own.

Dear God,
May our home bring honor to You. May my children learn most about Your love from the way love has been shown in our home. May patience, kindness, compassion and most of all forgiveness abound in our relationship to each other. May we decide to follow You in every moment in our lives.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

Exodus 20:24b
"Whereever I cause my name to be honored, I will come to you and bless you."

John 13:35
"By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protcts, always trusts always hopes, always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

1 Peter 3:8-
"Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble."

9 comments:

Edie said...

I love this and need this reminder so much more now that I am watching my girls everyday. Thanks Mrs P.

Yes of course you can use the Prayer Warrior craft. I'm delighted that you want to! :D

Sue J. said...

The deeply rooted love I have for my girls is sometimes lost in the application of discipline, which I know they need. I'm not yelling nearly as much as before (like last month!), but my words often fall on deaf ears, it would seem.

Still trying to find the way to honor God (by disciplining my children) yet standing in my children's shoes (which is the really difficult part, and the part for while I am not calling on God for help often enough).

Still very much in a growing mode, here. Thanks for the encouragement!

On Purpose said...

Perfectly God...as I was praying this hard this morning and asking God to cleanse my heart of not speaking nicely and not honoring Him in my home. May it start in my heart, in my home and then flow out from there.

May I know I can't do this in my strength and admit my weakness so He can be everything!

Jamie said...

Loved this post! That is my heart's desire as well...that He would be honored in my home, in my life!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

There is such truth in this post. We are trying to learn about being dependable at our house. The definition of dependable is being able to rely on someone to do what they are supposed to do even if noone else is watching.

Kelly said...

This is hard teaching today. To put on that happy face in public is an "easy" thing to do, but in private - it is so easy to show our ugly side. May I be more loving and patient to my family.

My ADHD Me said...

Once again, Chatty Kelly and I are thinking alike.
It's funny (not funny haha) how we tend to be kinder to strangers than to our own families.
Thanks for the reminder.

Twins plus one... said...

Is it a coincidence that the words disciple and discipline look so much alike?

I pray for patience as often as I can, as I do tend to take out most of my stressors out on my family--when they should be the ones receiving the most of my love instead. And for me, it just seems that the home and my family would be the greatest beneficiaries of my love--as it is my goal to show love to them as He has shown love to me. For when this happens, we provide the greatest gift to our children; role models of how to live and how to love according to God's word.
I'm with Sue...still in the learning mode here. (With LOTS left to learn! )

Twins plus one... said...

Is it a coincidence that the words disciple and discipline look so much alike?

I pray for patience as often as I can, as I do tend to take out most of my stressors out on my family--when they should be the ones receiving the most of my love instead. And for me, it just seems that the home and my family would be the greatest beneficiaries of my love--as it is my goal to show love to them as He has shown love to me. For when this happens, we provide the greatest gift to our children; role models of how to live and how to love according to God's word.
I'm with Sue...still in the learning mode here. (With LOTS left to learn! )