Singing brings me great joy, soothes my soul, and blesses me as I am made to worship!
I love to worship with song! Last fall I joined our church's choir. Recently a friend, and fellow church member, shared how I have blessed her by joining the choir. Surprizingly enough it was not my beautiful voice that blesses her! As a former choir member she struggled with whether to sit in the choir loft and sing, or to sit out in the congregation with her dear husband. For years she'd prayed for him to come to church, and now that he does, it would hurt her heart to see him out there sitting all by himself. Their children are all grown and do not live close by. She felt pulled to stay in choir, but more so to support her husband. She felt guilty for leaving her singing post.
That next fall I joined the choir and whose seat did I take?....... Hers! I also, in all likelihood, took her robe because we are both vertically challenged! A wise friend told me that sometimes when you say, "yes" to something you say, "no" to something else. Her "yes" to choir was a "no" to sitting with her husband. My "yes" to choir eased her guilt about the "no" as now her seat is filled! Sometimes your "no" might make way for another person's "yes," thereby providing a place for another brother or sister in Christ to grow.
Dear God,
What joy it is to sing praises to You! How wonderful it is that we can share in the workings of Your church. May we continue to encourage and support one another.
In Jesus Name,
Amen.
Phelemon 1:7
"Your love has given me joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints."
2 comments:
I'm glad you both made these choices. Surely, the Spirit was nudging! God has intentions behind this. It's just so wonderful when He allows us to see this "trade-off" that happens. There are so many other "transactions" of this nature that we aren't privy to, but are so necessary in God's vast workings for His plan.
And a beautiful voice in the congregation is an encouragement, as is the one in the choir!
I'm so glad that lady decided to tell you how your decision blessed her. I'll have to think about this a bit more. Thanks Mrs P!
Post a Comment