
We all are on a journey-a journey called “Life”. Life is difficult. I do not believe it is supposed to be easy or even happy all of the time, however I am disappointed when it isn’t. I am a planner. I like to plan ahead and when things do not happen as I have so carefully planned I am disappointed. Instead of continuing to brood over my disappointments I am trying to think of the disappointments as God’s way of honing my character to help me fit into His plan.
As I try to improve my attitude towards disappointment, I remember my late mother-in-law, Charlotte,-missing her and loving her for how she faced disappointment so graciously leaving a legacy for my husband and I, to pass to her grandchildren.
Two years after my husband was adopted by his parents, they learned Charlotte had Multiple Sclerosis. Hers was very disabling. She was wheel chair bound by the time Mr P was 7 and bed ridden when he was in college. She held on to God’s promises the whole time and raised two wonderful men-my husband and his brother.
Mr P's mom and dad had a plan as most of us do. They planned to adopt 5 children- all different races- so that they could teach the world how we all can love each other no matter how different we may look on the outside. Mr P was their first adopted child. Their plans changed after the diagnosis of MS was made. Mr P's brother was an unexpected blessing that swept them off their feet after they survived two tornados in Athens GA.
Their marriage was a true example of a covenant between themselves and God; a bond that could not be broken. They had vowed to each other they would serve each other as Jesus serves-and by humbly putting the others needs as more important than their own. They took on the tough times together peacefully knowing God was an ever present force in their lives. Their sons were watching and I know this example has helped my marriage.
They taught their children to trust in God no matter the circumstance and their home was full of love and fun even in the shadow of a disabling disease. Mr P does not believe God made this happen to his mother but that it was allowed to happen for some greater purpose in God’s plan that we may never know.
As I was thinking of Charlotte- someone mentioned they had read about how we often wonder why God allows bad things to happen to good people. There is even a book about it-- Yet we don’t usually question God if we have received a blessing. After I heard this I tried to remember a time I may have asked God why he sent me a blessing. I never have asked God “Why” for a blessing, and in fact usually I expect the best and am disappointed when it isn’t the way I thought it should be.
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to go on the heights Habakkuk 3:17-19
God enables us “to go on to the heights” even when things do not go “well”. Our plan of where the heights are may differ from Gods plan but there are sure to be blessings along the way. Someday we may see that it all makes perfect sense. Because “we know, that in all things God works for the good of those who love him who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
I like to imagine Charlotte in heaven with her Savior dancing and singing to beautiful music, she loved those things. I thought maybe (when I get there) I could even find out why she had to endure such hardship here on earth and a dear friend shared that she probably will not even remember it as a hardship, as now for eternity Charlotte will be singing praises to Jesus!
I challenge you to count your many blessings especially those unexpected ones. Blessings that took you by surprise. Blessings you may have found during a disappointing time. All of our
blessings come from God-together let’s be thankful!
As I try to improve my attitude towards disappointment, I remember my late mother-in-law, Charlotte,-missing her and loving her for how she faced disappointment so graciously leaving a legacy for my husband and I, to pass to her grandchildren.
Two years after my husband was adopted by his parents, they learned Charlotte had Multiple Sclerosis. Hers was very disabling. She was wheel chair bound by the time Mr P was 7 and bed ridden when he was in college. She held on to God’s promises the whole time and raised two wonderful men-my husband and his brother.
Mr P's mom and dad had a plan as most of us do. They planned to adopt 5 children- all different races- so that they could teach the world how we all can love each other no matter how different we may look on the outside. Mr P was their first adopted child. Their plans changed after the diagnosis of MS was made. Mr P's brother was an unexpected blessing that swept them off their feet after they survived two tornados in Athens GA.
Their marriage was a true example of a covenant between themselves and God; a bond that could not be broken. They had vowed to each other they would serve each other as Jesus serves-and by humbly putting the others needs as more important than their own. They took on the tough times together peacefully knowing God was an ever present force in their lives. Their sons were watching and I know this example has helped my marriage.
They taught their children to trust in God no matter the circumstance and their home was full of love and fun even in the shadow of a disabling disease. Mr P does not believe God made this happen to his mother but that it was allowed to happen for some greater purpose in God’s plan that we may never know.
As I was thinking of Charlotte- someone mentioned they had read about how we often wonder why God allows bad things to happen to good people. There is even a book about it-- Yet we don’t usually question God if we have received a blessing. After I heard this I tried to remember a time I may have asked God why he sent me a blessing. I never have asked God “Why” for a blessing, and in fact usually I expect the best and am disappointed when it isn’t the way I thought it should be.
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to go on the heights Habakkuk 3:17-19
God enables us “to go on to the heights” even when things do not go “well”. Our plan of where the heights are may differ from Gods plan but there are sure to be blessings along the way. Someday we may see that it all makes perfect sense. Because “we know, that in all things God works for the good of those who love him who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
I like to imagine Charlotte in heaven with her Savior dancing and singing to beautiful music, she loved those things. I thought maybe (when I get there) I could even find out why she had to endure such hardship here on earth and a dear friend shared that she probably will not even remember it as a hardship, as now for eternity Charlotte will be singing praises to Jesus!
I challenge you to count your many blessings especially those unexpected ones. Blessings that took you by surprise. Blessings you may have found during a disappointing time. All of our
blessings come from God-together let’s be thankful!
6 comments:
That you think and write of her so often tells us all how wonderful a lady Charlotte was. And you always write of her conquering spirit, even in light of the physical challenge she had before her constantly.
Legacy is so very much more than the tangible things left behind. That she was an amazing mother to your husband, and that the love she had was left upon you (and those to come) so deeply shows you just how much God was at work.
Thanks for sharing her story again today--such encouragement!
What a blessing to have someone in your life to shine as Jesus and to be able to see him so clearly. Charlotte is a beautiful testimony of living for Jesus, no matter what the circumstance.
You are a wonderful example of that too. Never sell yourself short. You aren't perfect, but you are perfected in Christ. Love you!
What a beautiful testimony to your mother-in-law. I am sure you already know how very blessed you are to have known her.
What a beautiful testimony to your mother-in-law. I am sure you already know how very blessed you are to have known her.
What a precious post. Deep thoughts to remember in my sometimes disapointed heart..like today. =) Great stuff!
This is so beautiful Mrs P. What a blessing to have such an example of faith in Christ. Your writing shows that you too a setting a godly example to your children in the way you love the Lord.
Rich Blessings to you!
Post a Comment