
Every November I think about his birth mother, knowing she must be wondering about him. Wondering if the choice she made thirty nine years ago was the right one. Wondering if the hopes she had for him, yet could not give him, came to fruition through giving him up. It must have been such a difficult selfless decision.
I'd like to tell her how much love the Patterson's gave him growing up, and how they treasured each day with him. I'd love to tell her that they told me the story of his arrival at least one hundred times, their faces all aglow! His mom, Charlotte, made him homemade costumes, elaborately decorated cakes, and kites. His dad helped him make his own go cart, gave him an extensive love of learning, and showed him how to help others. They gave him a foundation of love that sustains him even in his adulthood. He is thankful for the home he grew up in, and does not feel abandoned by her decision.
I think she would be proud of the man he has become. He is a man of God, a wonderful husband, a loving father, a good friend, and a successful engineer. He is respected at church and in his community.
I wish I could tell her how thankful I am for her decision. She loved him so much that she carried him for nine months and then let him go. She gave him his life. Even though we may never meet, I love her for that.
Dear God,
On this Happy Birthday Day, I thank you for the man you gave to me to love and cherish until the day I die. I thank you for his birth mom, may she feel at peace knowing he is leading a joyful life, and is thankful for the life she gave. I thank you for the opportunity to celebrate this life!
In Jesus Name,
Amen.
Ephesians 1:3-6
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will--to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves."
If you have time, listen to this song on the Bethany adoption site (not the agency for Mr P's adoption) but dear friends have adopted children through this wonderful agency. The song is by Mark Schulz and I am moved to tears every time I hear it. Click here to hear it.
10 comments:
Happy Birthday- I hope you have a wonderful day. Your post was lovely. I am thankful for your family. Enjoy each other. Much love Cindy
What a wonderful tribute today! Thank you for sharing it. I have one child that is adopted and I am so grateful for the opportunity to have her in our family.
God Bless, and happy birthdy to hubby!
Sonya
This is a beautiful post today!
A really beautiful post. I am heading over to Bethany's website now to hear the song.
What a beautiful testament to Mr. P. and his birth mother. Too bad she hasn't had the opportunity to get to know you all "yet" - you never know what God might bring your way... Happy Birthday Mr. P!
P.S. I love the tributes to dad in your previous post - too cute - what a treasure!
Tell Mr. P I said Happy Birthday! What a sweet post today! I loved it and thought it was such a sweet way to look at the situation...I know his mom would be so proud of him and the beautiful wife and children he has. Oh, and Mr. P missed having my birthday by 3 days. :o)
What a wonderful tribute Mrs P. I love Mark Schulz. I just watched the video and now I'm just crying my eyes out. :)
Just great, Sweetheart!
For those of us on the fringes of what adoption is all about, Mr. P. gives us a view at the amazing blessing it can be, and God's great provision for the family as He intended.
That is so sweet!!! Happy Birthday to your hubby!!
This post brought tears to my eyes. Adoption is a selfless gift in many, many ways for all parties involved. What a blessing that the Patterson's got to love and raise Mr. P--she did give him his life, and so did they!
Happy Birthday, Mr. P! Celebrate and enjoy every minute!
Post a Comment