Monday, November 3, 2008

Seeking God, Part Two


Random Question, from Edie and Rich Gifts-- part Two.....




When did you seek Him with all your heart and what did finding Him look like?





I began seeking God with all of my heart shortly after becoming married almost 13 yrs ago. We moved 4-5 hours away from our family and close friends. This was an extremely exciting time for us as newlyweds but also kind of scary. We both were young and a little self centered. We were forced to cling to each other because we did not know anyone else! We sought out a church family and began to do nightly devotions together. The more we studied the more we realized we had a lot to learn. We began praying together...... praying God would hold us together, as we learned how to work as a team.




Those years, though tough at the time, are remembered fondly, since we know the outcome. We sought out God for support during a time we were "supposed to be grown up" but felt inadequate for the task at hand.




We still feel inadequate as new challenges come our way almost daily in our marriage, parenting adventures, church, and careers. We still need to cling to each other, but most importantly to God as He holds it all together. In our weaknesses and inadequacies He is given glory.


So we seek.....


God is our salvation, our restorer, our protector, our counselor......
Dear God,
I am so thankful that You are there in our weaknesses and inadequacies lifting us up showing others that You are what is strong in our lives. You have carried us through the challenges life has given us thus far, and blessed us immeasurably. May we continue to seek you, by studying Your Word and spending time in relationship with You. In Jesus Name, Amen.







Romans 12:10b

"Honor one another above yourselves"

Proverbs 3:5-6

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Psalm 25:4-5

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long."

2 Corinthians 12:5, 9-10

I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

For how I seek please link here....Searching for God Through Out the Day

6 comments:

Kelly said...

God bless the Patterson 5!!!

Well done good & faithful servants! Great will be your reward in heaven.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I think that seperation from family in the beginning is a helpful thing... I "ran home" way to many times when I first got married. Had we been far away, that wouldn't have been an option.

Great thoughts! Love this!

Edie said...

God does sometimes separate us from those we may depend on more than Him. I love the way He worked in your lives as you sought Him.

Jami said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for coming by today and for your very sweet words! :)

I loved this post. What a wonderful testimony! Praise God for His goodness! :)

Sue J. said...

This is a really thoughtful series of blogs.....and though no one's journey is ever the same, there are common threads that I totally understand--the "not seeking" and then recognizing His presence; then, the "more active seeking," recognizing not only His presence, but direction, power, encouragement, and it goes on and on, doesn't it?

Thanks for sharing, because I know this is all on a much deeper level than we read, and it's a blessing to us that you share so much!

On Purpose said...

Praising God for a strong foundation that you and your husband have built in God. Praying and knowing that the Holy Spirit will continue to direct you in the journey.