Thursday, October 30, 2008

All Hallows Eve

A Hallows Eve, more recently known as, Halloween is the day before All Saints Day. A day we remember all of the saints who have gone on to the church triumphant before us, yet just by knowing them we are inspired to live as they did.



I remember the saints in my life.



I remember my grandmother Rogers, Aggie, who through stories of her life inspires me to love my church and cherish my church family. She was known to make all of her guests feel so special in her home by her hospitality. Every occasion was special when you came to her house. My daughter and I enjoy using some of her tea sets from time to time and I tell my daughter about her great grandmother and how she loved tea parties and laughing with friends.



I remember my grandfather Rogers, Skinny, who was a kid at heart. He'd sneak in candy bars in his pockets for my brother and I and peel apples for us while we sat in his lap by the fire. He came to church, mostly on holidays, and we always knew he was there by the ringing of his hearing aid. Though absent on Sundays he did have a close personal relationship with God. He gave the gifts of confidence and self accomplishment to many men in the community by providing them jobs. He taught me and others the blessings of hard work, by visualizing and seeing the end result. No project was too big for my Grandpa!



I remember my grandfather, Patrick, Grandpa to me, Pepaw to others. He taught me the importance of the Word of God. He read it to me as a toddler and for as long as I would listen. He lived a life in service to others. He served not only his own family but the whole community. If some one was in need he would be there. He was a quiet man, but when he talked we all listened as it was usually wise. He also gave the best hugs I have ever received.



I remember my husband's mother, Charlotte. When life gave her lemons. She made lemonade. She was diagnosed with a disabling disease when my husband was two and the plans she and my father in law had made of adopting five children were suddenly put to a halt. Their marriage was a true example of a covenant between themselves and God; a bond that could not be broken. They had vowed to each other they would serve each other as Jesus serves-and by humbly putting the others needs as more important than their own. They took on the tough times together peacefully knowing God was an ever present force in their lives. Their sons were watching and I know this example has helped my marriage.



I remember my husband's grandmother Holzworth, Nana. A strong woman of faith in an tiny package. She raised two young children on her own, after her husband had died when she was thirty. She was an adventurous spirit who inspired my husband to dream of serving in far away places. (Zambia) She packed up and moved in with my husbands family when her daughter, Charlotte, needed help in caring for the children and household. She remained by her daughter's side until the day Charlotte finally defeated MS and rejoiced in heaven. This was the same morning our first son was born so their souls past. Nana held our first child which was an enormous blessing.



I can even think of saints here living in our midst. Today I am thankful for a dear friend who in the middle of a crisis is thinking of the eternal ramifications. Putting aside all feelings of vengeance, even though she was wronged, she is sharing the gospel, along with forgiveness and love. Her faith in God inspires me to keep my eyes on what is eternally important.



Now I know none of these saints I mentioned are in any books or have any recognition except to those who knew or have known them. But through these lives God has touched many, who in turn will be used by God for other purposes. Today on Halloween think of the saints in your life.

Dear God,
I am thankful today for the many saints I know, and have known. They have helped me in my search for You and inspired me to seek You as they have and do in their lives. May I continue to pass down this rich heritage to my children. May we, on this day that concerns many, be a light shining out to our neighbors. May we show hospitality and love and recieve the chance to touch lives that You need us to be a part of.
In Jesus Name,
Amen.


Hebrews 12:1 "Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us"

Psalms 116:15 "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints."

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 "Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him."


See below for picture post

4 comments:

Sue J. said...

This is so beautiful! What an amazing testimony to some great saints!!

Thanks for putting proper perspective on the day and that you continue to lift up these folks for your children. These are the stories our forthcoming generations need to keep in their hearts. (That's what that Hebrews passage is all about!)

Kelly said...

What a great story. I imagine your eyes tearing up as you typed it. A wonderful story of tribute to the saints who have gone before!

Joy Junktion said...

Special, special, special!!!

Twins plus one... said...

Oh, this is just one of the reasons why I love your blog. I have been swamped and have been having withdraws from reading your posts. You have such a way with words and you are so respectful and appreciative of the wonderful family members you have. What wonderful tributes to them all...how blessed you are.