"I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also." II Timothy 1:5
My grandmother is an amazing woman of faith, who has richly blessed my life with the priceless treasures she has shown day by day, as she has Christ in her life. Some of these treasures she has passed directly to me as I grew up visiting her; yet many have been passed from her, to my mom, to me, and now to my children.
She and my Grandpa lived their lives in a way that showed God comes first. There was no need to stand on mountains to shout it out- you could see God and feel the love in their home. My mom grew up in a home where reading the Bible was a daily occurrence and she has these scriptures planted in her heart. They prepared her to rely on God first in the many trials life would bring on. These truths she passed on to my brother and I, so that we too would be prepared.
My grandma exemplifies the Proverbs 31 woman as she rose early daily to feed her family, work side by side with her husband on the farm, and all of her five children call her blessed. She worked hard, yet I never have heard her complain about it. She has fond memories of hard times and knew how to be content in every circumstance.
Her gentle quiet ways I am sure were soothing to my Grandpa and her marriage was second only to God. She brought honor to him and still brings honor to his memory as he is rejoicing in heaven. She always took care of his needs first before her own, always looking to his interests. I watch my mom do this with my dad and I am still learning and striving for this in my marriage.
She has raised five children, nine grandchildren and fourteen great grandchildren. I think we all are exceptionally, great people, of course I am biased! My mom remembers anything she and her siblings were involved in growing up my grandma would try her best to be there. Even though they lived hundreds of miles away my grand parents were at several dance recitals and my high school and college graduations.
Something I remember so very fondly are the meals in her home. She opened the door to all! My cousin said, as a child, that the whole church would come over for Sunday dinner. It really did turn out to be a huge crowd. Lots of good southern cooking and the best sweet tea you've ever tasted. The best part was I'd even get dessert regardless of how clean my plate was! She'd make a big fuss over all of the grand kids and let us eat pretty much what ever we wanted. She taught us that you do not have to put on heirs to entertain you just have to open your door and share what you have.
Today is my grandma's eighty eighth happy birthday! She is a rare treasure among women worth far more than rubies....
Thank you grandma for the gift of your life you have shared with me!
This video is for you!
Dear God,
I praise you for the life you have given my Grandma. She has blessed and continues to bless so many people. Through the legacy she and my Grandpa have left her life will continue to bless generations that follow. May I Lord, as she did, always look to You first, keeping my life in balance to better serve You. May today be a joyous celebration for her and all of our family!
In Jesus Name, Amen.
Philippians 4:12
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."
Ephesians 4:2
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. "
Philippians 2:4
"Each of you should look no only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others"
1 Peter 4:9
"Offer hospitality to one another with out grumbling."
Proverbs 31:10-29
"A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life........
She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family....
She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.......
Her children arise and call her blessed!
10 comments:
Oh Ginny - I don't know why, but your post made me cry. Perhaps it is the longing in my own heart for this type of family legacy. I am so glad that not only are you blessed this way, but that you recognize what a true blessing it is.
Hope is not lost for me however. Because I can the one who begins this legacy for my family. And I pray my great grandchildren will be blessed by me, as yours are by your grandma meme.
And somehow I suspect that it was not your little girls turn to blow out the candles...*grin*
This is so sweet Mrs P. You have no idea how I hope that my grandaughters view me like you view your grandma. What an incredible blessing I'm sure this was to her.
Happy Birthday Grandma Meme!
Dear Ginny,
This is such a wonderful post and it warms my heart to see your precious cherubs singing. How awesome that you have this heritage of the virtuous woman to pass on to your own Beth, too!
P.S. Who got the biggest piece of cake?? :-)
Oh, Mrs. P! I am so glad to be back among your blog! I am with Chatty Kelly in that this post made me cry. Your grandma sounds like a marvelous woman and has so many qualities that I am stiving to achieve in my own daily life. What a blessing she is...and what an inspiration she is to all women--even those of us who haven't even met her. Soak up the minutes, hours, and days with her. She is a treasure, worth far more than rubies. And, I love how she hosted such great suppers at her house and she is right...no need to put on heirs, just love one another. I am trying to echo that in my own life...God cares much more about the company we keep versus the house that we keep! I love my Grandma just as much, thanks for giving me an awesome reminder to call her bright and early in the morning and tell her once again!
Thanks so much for sharing!
This is an amazing tribute! Thanks for sharing your Godly grandma with us. I'm honored to "know" her, and draw strength from her enduring faith.
Blessings,
e-Mom @ Chrysalis
Happy Birthday to your Grandma!
Most of my happy memories are from the summers I spent with my grandmother. Thank you for reminding me today.
Happy Birthday Grandma, God bless you today for years of spreading love to your family!
I am so glad I came over today. Happy Birthday!
Thanks for running this journey with me. I am blessed to have you as one of my prayer warriors. I am putting my email and pobox on my blog. I would love for you to wear and share my bracelet.
love cindy
What an incredible blessing you have been given in your grandma!!!
I want to be a Grandma like that when I grow up.
Ginny,
Thank you for posting such a sweet tribute to Mimi. The words you wrote are so true and make me realize just how truly blessed we (as her grandchildren and great grandchildren)are. She was and still is a wonderful example of what a Godly woman should be.
Happy Birthday, Mimi! :-) !
We all love you dearly!
Wendy and Lee
Anna Grace and Leah Kathryn
Post a Comment