Saturday, October 11, 2008

Cub-O-Ree!




















Cub-O-Ree!



Cub-O-Ree!


Our family attended a Cub-O-Ree this weekend. I am relatively new to Cub Scouting so this was my first Cub-O-Ree!







The boys, and at times our little girl participated in sack races, tug of war, javalin throws, horse shoes, cross country skis, obstacle courses, rope bridges, archery, sling shot and BB gun target shooting. Things that as a mom, I view as dangerous but with LOTS of adult supervision were valuable learning experiences. In order to earn badges, pins or belt loops they have to answer safety questions, as well as behave responsibly. Today I have learned that when given the chance to fire a BB gun or an arrow from a bow, young boys will sit quietly and respectfully while safety lectures are given.















After a long day of outdoor activities we had a yummy spagetti dinner. Our daughter and I went home to get her to bed. She recieved the best little sister award as she endured the day happily with smile (actually she had a fabulous time!)






The boys stayed on for carnival games. They enjoyed dart throwing- to pop balloons; frisbee throwing- aiming for a hole in a board; the strong man (you know the one with the hammer and the bell) ; bean bag toss- to knock down milk bottles; all to earn a prize at the end. My middle son's eyes sparkled at the mention of prizes the night before at the opening bonfire! I did not even mention the funny/"ghost" stories and skits from the night before! It was a fun adventure for us all!


Needless to say all of our children fell asleep right as their heads were hitting the pillows!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great day! Thanks for sharing! I felt like I was right there with you (Without the fear of being struck by a wayward arrow or BB.) LOL!!!

Love ya!

Kelly said...

**off topic** - I read you comment at Monkeys are Funny on our chinese vistor. His blog is completely in chinese, so even if you visited (I did), you couldn't read it.

Edie said...

This looked like so much fun! I'm just gonna move in with you, you have lots of fun family outings!! LOL. Of course I would want to shoot the BB guns and bow and arrows too. :) Just a kid at heart.

The Patterson 5 said...

Edie,
Come on over! I am sure the cub scouts would let you try your hand at these events as well! It's good to be a kid at heart! I am hoping that will keep me able to keep up with my kids- and years down the road---grandkids!