Most would agree Moses is one of the greatest leaders of all time. As a child growing up, I thought he was practically perfect, not realizing just how human and like you and me he was. He was hand picked by God, as are we, for the purposes God has in mind.
Moses must have sensed this calling in his younger years, (40), as he went out to be with his people, the Israelite slaves. He saw one of the slaves being beaten by an Egyptian slave driver. Moses, looked around to make sure no one saw, and murdered the Egyptian. He tried to take matters into his own hands, without consulting God!!! Though I have never murdered anyone, I too, have tried to take what I see as God's purpose for me into my own hands, and of course I flub it up. Moses later mellows, after 40 years out in the desert living a simple, yet normal life, then God calls him to serve. He was 80 so it's not at all too late for us!
Moses gives lots of excuses as to why he can not do what God has called him to do. These excuses are familiar to me as well. My favorites of Moses excuses are "I am not a good speaker and please, God, send someone else to do it." God did tell Moses to enlist the help of his brother Aaron--- to help with the talking. This reminded me of Jesus sending out the disciples two by two, perhaps to help with their confidence as well. I like the buddy system. The times God has been able to use me successfully in ministry have been along side my husband. I think God has tried and prompted me to accept a call with out Mr P; I have failed at this thus far. Only God can bless my mess and He has. He may call me again.
Moses goes to Egypt and initially is accepted and believed by the Israelites, but that fame is short lived as Pharaoh says, "No" and increases the cruelty and work on the Israelites. They fuss at Moses and he is rejected once again by his own people. In his discouragement he prays and gives all of His discouragement and anxiety to God in prayer. He is learning that to be a good leader he must put full dependence on God. I am learning too!
God in His love, mercy and grace removes our failures and our sins from us. Moses is not remembered in the New Testament as a stuttering murderer but as a great man of God! God used Moses, once he was at his humblest and lowest, and did miraculous things, showing God's glory not man's. God can use us too, and though we may not part the Red Sea, we may touch one life that will turn to Jesus. A miracle indeed.
Dear God,
I am so very thankful for Your Word that is still relevant to our lives today. May I pour out myself so that I may become full of You. May I be willing to serve, bravely knowing You are in the driver seat and I am the lowly assistant. Instead of going to my husband, mom or friends with my discouragements, anxieties and fears my I bring them to You FIRST. Laying them there at Your feet and moving on with the plans in Your Will.
In Jesus Name, Amen
I encourage you to read Exodus chapters 2- 6 or how about 1-6!!!!
Hebrews 8:12 "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."
Hebrews 11:24 "By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. He regarded disgrace, for the sake of Christ, as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward."
1 comment:
I am studying the life of Moses in bible study this year...I am learning so much! Great post!
Post a Comment