Thursday, October 9, 2008

For A Time Such As This

This week I felt I was in constant motion, going here and there, yet could not get it all done, and at moments, I felt overwhelmed. Mr P, who is going to school, working, and trying to be a very involved husband and dad, also had his overwhelmed moments this week. Twice we went to our date spot on our deck to talk. The first night we both shared how overwhelmed we felt and how we just couldn't get it all done. We both talked about projects that we had hoped to complete this year, and decided some would have to wait. My dear sweet husband also felt as if he was ready to throw in the towel on this school bit, and we're only a few weeks into it. We decided to pray on it, and meanwhile stick to the plan.

The next day I went to my bible study meeting, having not completed all of my studies, I felt discouraged and wondered if it would be best if I dropped out this year, to catch up more at home. A dear friend soothed my type A personality of having to have every question and scripture read, assuring me I would still get allot out of my small group time. One of the questions that I did not get to, was about what is God calling you to do right now and are you listening. I pondered this question. What is God calling me to do right now? Am I listening? Initially I thought God is not calling me for any thing right now. I am not a missionary, minister, or in any leadership roles in my church or community.

I decided my listening skills could really use some improvement, as I was missing the messages God had for me, along with the blessings that will surely follow if I am obedient. Right now I am a wife and a mom. God is calling me to my home to those who need my love and "ministering" the most. My children and my husband need to see the love and servant hood of Jesus through me in our home.

Suddenly my long "to do" list of household management took on a whole new light. The long days when my husband can not come home until late, due to classes did not feel so overwhelming. I felt empowered! God has given me a call for a time such as this. I can do this, with God's help. As long as I keep God in the center of my life He can move this huge mountain, so I am going to happily start digging! I started with a mountain of laundry!

Later that evening, my husband came home from his class. He happily reported he'd received a B on his first exam! He looked relieved and proud. We sat out in our date spot and talked. He really talked. He shared all of his challenges at work. He seemed excited and eager to solve these issues. I listened. He smiled and was more relaxed than I have seen him in two weeks.

Today a friend shared that the activities you enjoy and are involved in day to day reflect your core values. My loving service to my family reflects the love I have received from God and that is a wonderful calling.

Dear God,

I confess that my attitude earlier this week was not one You would have for me. In my discouragement I was missing Your call and Your blessings. I am thankful for the ways You speak to me through Your Word and other sisters in Christ You have placed in my life. May I continue to seek Your Will for my life so I can recieve peace in knowing I am in Your hands.

In Jesus Name, Amen.


Matthew 17:20 "He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Esther 4:14b "And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

Isaiah 40:31 "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Well I don't know if I'd call it a "royal position" but certainly motherhood is one of the most important callings we shall ever have! And being a wife, well it too is very important, especially to our husbands.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...and that my friend is why you have such a happy home. Your joy shines through to your family.

Thank you for your witness and your friendship. You are a beautiful daughter of the King - a royal position indeed!!

Edie said...

As CK said , "You are a beautiful daughter of the King - a royal position indeed!!"

I'm so glad that you heard what God was saying and that you and Mr P found peace in what you are doing.

On Purpose said...

Knowing God has you right were He wants you and needs you. Your obedience will be rewarded by the King! Praying for you! I am so glad to have read this blog today, it blessed me and spoke to my heart. I am now ready for another day in my "mission field" (aka my home with my family)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You are so sweet. And I'm cracking up at your code word for fem hygiene products!

Kacey Elliott said...

Must be that time of year???!!! Sometimes just taking the time to sit back and reflect is what we need to gain some perspective. The fact that the two of you can communicate so well is a true testament to the solidity of your marriage. I find that sometimes just doing it all with a smile lightens the load a bit :-)