Thursday, May 22, 2008

Praying in Marriage

I would love to share that I am the most wonderful and sweetest wife but of course that couldn't be true. Conforming our will to God's will is difficult, so how could we imagine meshing two individuals could be any easier. I think that's where prayer comes in. It takes lots of prayer at the Patterson house and I am so blessed to have a husband who prays with me. (Perhaps our prayer life is stronger because of my stubborn will). All kidding aside, sometimes we struggle to come to an agreement. During those times I remember we made a covenant to love, honor,respect, and cherish each other. We made this covenant in front of God, our family and our closest friends. Sometimes I have to choose to love, and choose to trust. God placed my husband as the head of our family. I trust God so therefore I trust my husband.

Dear God
Please help me see my marriage as a sacred thing. May I always understand that being married was not meant to just make me happy but make my character more holy. Help me remember being married is less about having the right partner and more about being the right partner. Shape me into the wife my husband needs and deserves. Help me to pause before I speak so I don’t react out of anger, frustration, or selfishness. Show me how to respect, love and give to this man in a way that honors You and brings joy to our home. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Something to aim for in marriage
Philippians 2:1-5" If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus" (NIV)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

This is the same thing Lysa TerKeurst of Proverbs 31 ministries blogged on this morning. God must be telling me something - as the I'll be working hard the next few days to honor my husband as he recovers from surgery. Thank you for the encouragement.

Check out Lysa's blog too, for a funny take on the same subject:
http://lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

You know, I've often wondered what God was thinking when he said that he made the woman for the man! But we do seem to balance eachother out. God does know everything and He is perfect so I must fully trust Him on this one. I love my husband and I am very blessed he is in my life. The submission part can be challenging at times, but then again, I know it's been challenging to my hubby to submit to God's will at times, and yet he has. We are a work in progress, just like every other relationship in my life! Including my relationship with my heavenly Father!

Sue J. said...

"Help me remember being married is less about having the right partner and more about being the right partner."

You know, I need to refer to this prayer you wrote every single day. And this line really hits home for me. It took a lot of heartbreak for me to come to a place where I could even accept that thought as being God's truth, and what I needed to do. God has definitely brought me to a better place...and the challenge of being the "right" partner is ever before me.

As long as I'm not the "always right" partner....right?