Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Living in the Moment

Today I received a letter from a dear sweet friend of mine, whose always helped me slow down and savor each moment of everyday! She has a quiet sense about her that makes you really stop and think, about what really is important. She moved back to her home state just a few years ago and I miss her. Thankfully there are emails and snail mails so we can exchange stories and pictures of our very beautiful children. I checked the mail right before bus stop time- so I could not open it right away like I wanted too. Then the whirlwind of my boys and their buddies rushed into our home and out the back door for backyard fun. Once Popsicles were served and at least one child was seated I tried again to read my letter but there was the excitement of a hoppy toad and, "Mom, Can you find my bug house so we can keep him awhile?" I put the letter away for later, knowing my friend would want me to enjoy these backyard moments. The boys played in the creek, caught frogs (it could have been the same one each time as I requested they let it go) and we painted pictures. Each child painted creeks with fish, frogs or alligators in them! It was a glorious afternoon! Late last night I settled down to read the letter. She had sent me a poem by Karen Kingsbury, Let Me Hold You Longer. It was about living in the moment for all too soon these afternoons will only be a sweet memory. The poem asks "Would I have held on longer if I'd known they were your last?" There is a time for everything. A time to hold babies and a time to let go. When my boys are men and my girl a lady; they won't want to catch hoppy toads, paint pictures and eat Popsicles in my backyard, but now they do, so I will treasure today!
Dear God,
Help me to be the influence my children need at every stage of their growth. Keep me willing to listen to anything they want to discuss even when I am busy or feeling tired. May I treasure each of these precious moments as gifts from You.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:"(NIV)

Psalms 127: 3 "Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him." (NIV)

Psalm 118:24 "This is the daythe Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!" (NIV)

Find Karen Kingsbury Let Me Hold You Longer poem grab a tissue!
www.parable.com/content/preview/9781414300559.pdf

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Girlfriend -
Just reading your blog made me tear up! What a wonderful mom you are to have made the revelation to spend the time enjoying the kids, BEFORE you read the poem. And what a confirmation by God that your mind was in the right place, with the kids.

Loved it.

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

This was a precious e-mail! God is dealing with me on resting on the sabbath day and I believe this plays right into it! With the kids going in many directions, Tim and I included, setting aside that 1 day for family time is important. I hope to revel in the moments more often. Loving your blogs!

Sue J. said...

I'm terrible with the mail...especially when it has my name on it! I have always loved going to the mailbox. I have thought on and off about being a mail carrier. Mail is special!

But, even beautiful mail from a dear friend can be a life-moment interrupter! Rarely do I show the discipline to wait here, so your words give me pause for thought.

Thank you, sweet one, for your tender reminder.

And I do love starting my days with your prayerful blog and reflection on His Word that you bring to light.