Thursday, May 15, 2008

Praying for young adults/adolescence

A friend looked down at my right ankle and said "You have a tattoo?" I'm sure I turned red as I answered that I was in a sorority in college-it's from a different time in my life. She smiled and said it just surprised her! I don't really fit the tattoo persona. That different time-a time I was wandering a bit in the wilderness was difficult and confusing. My mom shared she prayed alot during that time and I have letters from women of my childhood church who sent prayers and care packages during exams. I believe the prayers said on my behalf were life savers for me. Any time I was in a sticky situation (a place I had no business being) friends would come along and help me out. There always seemed to be someone looking out for me. I am thankful for those prayers and for those friends. I had wanted to have my tattoo removed as it no longer is who I am. My husband urged me to keep it as it will help me remember where I have been and the many blessings that have come since then.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for the protection You provided for me in my youth and for the loved ones who offered up prayers on my behalf. May my life be a testimony to your grace and unconditional love. Lord please be with all young people, surround them in your love and protection. Place people in their lives who will remind them whose they are - Yours. Please especially be with my friend's son, Justin, keep him safe and surround him with the knowledge of your love. Daily remind him of the great plans You have in store for him. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Jeremiah 29:11 " "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (NIV)

Luke 12:7 "Indeed the very hairs of you head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows" (NIV)

I Corinthians 6:19-20 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." (NIV)

Romans 1:9 God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you in my prayers at all times....

4 comments:

Sue J. said...

I can understand your wanting the tattoo removed, and I can understand your husband's words as well.

"...there was given me a thorn in the flesh..." (II Corinthians 12:7) BUT...

"'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness,'" said the Lord to Paul.

That your tattoo opened up a conversation to someone else--a conversation which could spur someone on spiritually--reveals God's grace and shows how He can shine even in light of ourselves in our weakness.

I'll stop short of saying Wear it with pride! But, as your Wisdom-focused husband suggests, let it be a reminder to you (and to others) of God's presence and blessing throughout your life.

Kelly said...

What a blessing to have a mama (& mama's friends!) to pray on your behalf. And you are that type of mama. And you have friends that pray for you & your family, just as you are praying for mine.

You are a role model...sharing your "mistakes" and growth from them. Tune in to my blog tomorrow to see me bare mine!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so glad we shared blog addresses today. Your blog is a great testimony to your Christ driven life. And, one of our topics at a past MOPS mtg. was in regards to prayer journals, which is what your blog reminded me of and is inspiring me to do. I, too, have 2 tattoos from days long ago. And, yes---they are reminders of where we have been and where we will go by the Grace of God. Thanks for sharing. I will certainly be a "regular" at the Patterson 5!
-Kara

The Patterson 5 said...

Kara,
Thanks for sharing your blog! I wrote on it even way back to the day you were angel on call! I am enjoying prayer blogging! It's given me some accountability especially since dear friends are looking in and sharing wisdom. I love the shared thoughts as I think we all can learn from each other! I loved all of you pics and I have even set a play date to go out to Short Pump to play in the fountains! You made it look so fun!