A few years ago my husband and I attended a marriage seminar at the Christian Life Conference in Montreat NC. A dynamic couple taught this workshop and shared their story with us. The Mrs shared that her husband quoted scripture to her during their courtship and it was really romantic. Eyebrows were raised quizzically, until she said it was from the Song of Solomon. It's a collection of love letters between a husband and wife. She recommended spouses to read this passion filled book together. God did plan for our feelings to be hot for our husbands! (I am fanning myself as I type)
The Mr, who taught the seminar talked about love languages. Each of us have a way or ways of showing our love for one another. Often times the ways we show love might not match how our spouse feels loved. But once you find the language your spouse speaks.......Wow! It must have really touched a chord with Mr Patterson as he went out that very afternoon to purchase the book! The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman Take a quiz to find your language!
Mr Patterson's love language is Acts of Service and Words of Affirmation. He does many things around the house for me and he desires my joyful thanks for these things. I have to make a conscious effort to do this, and sadly, often times I fall short of showing my appreciation. But when I do......Wow!
Dear God,
May the love that my husband and I share increase and overflow for each other. May we cling to one another as You designed. Help us to understand the perfection of Your love in terms of forgiveness, service and self sacrifice. May we have an overwhelming desire to be imitators of God in that love. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Genesis 2:24 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."
Philippians 2:2-5 "then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests,of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."
Song of Songs 1:1 "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth-for your love is more delightful than wine. verse 4 "Take me away with you-let us hurry!" 7:10 "I belong to my lover and his desire is for me."
2 comments:
My Mr.'s is Acts of Service too! It's hard to remember that we are supposed to speak love to them in THEIR love language, not our own, and vice versa. So Mr P needs to find out your love language and speak to you in that. Most women like quality time.
You are a great role model couple. :-)
As CK said, "You are a great role model couple". From reading your blog, and not just today's post, it seems very apparent that you two are definitely soul-mates.
Post a Comment