When someone I care about has a problem I want to actively help them feel better, and even fix it if I can. Seeing them in pain and struggling is hard for me, because I want to make it better. Perhaps it's the nurse in me that has to be soothing others wounds.
Praying is something I can do and I pray for others throughout the day, every time they come to mind, I pray for them. Even though I pray, I still struggle with the frustration of not being able to do more.
At church we have been studying Galatians. Even though this Sunday's sermon's topic was not about- Feeling frustrated about what you can not fix -I still was pondering the verses from Sunday, today.
Galatians 6:2 says, "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." I so believe helping each other "carry" our troubles does lighten our load physically, and especially spiritually. Galatians 6:3-5 goes on to say, "If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load."
Our minister spoke on how important it is to carry other's load with humility. As I pondered these verses today, I realized my frustration on not being able to do more is a lack of humility on my part. Fixing a problem could take the glory from God, robbing the person I am praying for from realizing the gift God is giving them in their struggle and eventual deliverance from it. In praying for my friends and loved ones shouldn't it be my up most desire for them to trust in the Lord before all else? Shouldn't I be listening for God's promptings on ways to help, instead of fretting over ways to "fix it"?
These verses spoke to me today freeing me from my fretting and allowing me to humbly realize only God can fix things I am mearly a vessel He may choose to do His handiwork -at His calling.
Dear God,
You made me just the way I am for the work You predestined for me to do. You gave me a heart of compassion for others and for that I am especially thankful. Thank you for the gift of Your Word that has reminded me that You are the fixer of our souls and battered lives. You have a grand design that sometimes is hard and seems unfair. I choose to trust You, Lord, You have it all under perfect control. In Jesus Name, Amen.
For more thoughts on "Fixing things" come and see my dear friend's blog from about a month ago ( I read it then but perhaps it took me this long to process the message!) Any way enjoy Miss Fix It! http://chattykelly.blogspot.com/2008/06/miss-fix-it.html
4 comments:
So many good points here....
I know prayer is important, and it is always reassuring when you remind us about praying throughout the day (not just in one prayer block, scheduled, etc.). I feel challenged in what to offer someone who is hurting. Sometimes my words are too many and my prayers too few.
It is exactly as you say: God wants to do the work so that His glory might be realized. Our prayers to help someone else may be as simple as asking God to work in our hurting friend's life while working in us to keep us humble...and lift that all-too-human feeling of frustration.
Thanks for the reference to my post! Yes, it can be frustrating wanting to fix others problems and not being able too. Your post really rang true to me.
I'm sorry your worrying about someone and hope your prayers for them lead God to fix-it.
I believe that whatever problem your friend is going thru, just knowing you are there for her and praying for her is helpful to her.
I have always been a "Fixer" of other people's problems. I think it is a way to cope with the fact that I cannot fix my own.
I think it is "human" nature, this urge we often feel to "fix" things. But most often, what that person needs the most is simply a friend to talk to, someone to listen, empathy - not a fix. That will come in time, and I am sure your friend knows what is in your heart. I most treasure those who make the time to listen with an open heart.
Post a Comment