As mom's we are bombarded by "ought to's" . We ought to volunteer more. We ought to work on our careers. We ought to have our children in a sport or two, music lessons, tutoring (this list could go on and on). We ought to teach Sunday school, sing in the choir, start a women's ministry (this list could go on and on too!) All of these things are good!
I am sure you've heard the saying about too much of a good thing.
Perhaps we "ought to" slow down. Not just slowing down a few moments each day but how about slowing down all day, allowing for more listening time to find out the "ought to" God has for us.
This is extremely hard for me. I am a yes girl and a people pleaser. But don't I desire to be a God pleaser? I am free from what others think of me because my life belongs to Christ. I am free from the messages of our culture. It is ok if my home is not spotlessly clean. It's ok if my life with three kids is a bit messy. It is ok that I do not have everything under control because I know the One who does.
What things in my life can I reorder to make certain Jesus is my primary focus? I sure do not want to miss His "ought to"!
Dear God,
There are so many good things to be involved in, many jobs that need doing, sometimes I can get lost in the desire to do them all-all at once! Help me to slow down placing my focus on You first. May I ever be listening for your whispers of Your plans for my days. In Jesus Name, Amen.
John 3:30 "He must become greater; I must become less" (John the Baptist said this)
Colossians 3:2-3 "Set our minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."
3 comments:
It is very easy to get caught up in the ought to...in every facet of life. May we take the time to slow down and find the finer callings that He has planned for us so that we may fully commit ourselves and be the best women God has commanded us to be! Thanks for helping me keep it in perspective!
"It is ok that I do not have everything under control because I know the One who does."
Mrs. P - you "ought to" put that quote on a plaque and sell it at women's retreats. You could get rich. That is the best quote I've read in a long time. Thanks for the encouragement!
I am currently deciding what I "ought to" do this fall. All are good (MOPS, Bible study, etc.) but I need to make sure I don't over load myself. Thanks again for the beneficial blog today.
I bet you didn't know this, but quite often as I read your posts, I feel the need to look over my shoulder to see if you are standing there. Because I KNOW you are talking directly to me!
(OK, I KNOW you aren't literally standing there...that would be scary....then I couldn't read your blog any more....also I'd have to clean the house if I did read it so you wouldn't see the mess....Plus my shrink assured me you weren't really standing there...so I KNOW you aren't.....right?)
Post a Comment