"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncutdiamonds.Discard them and their value will never be known.Improve them and they will becomethe brightest gems in a useful life."-Ralph Waldo EmersonMy days seem full of spare moments. Moments that I used to think perhaps did notmean much. For example: unloading the dishwasher, folding a load of clothes, orfinding the phone when it's ringing (we have a cordless and it gets lost often!)Today after reading this quote I watched how my three year old daughter spendsher day of spare moments. She delights in each and every chore. If she unloads thesilverware from the dishwasher she proudly exclaims, "I did it all by myself." Whenthe dog needs to be let in or if the phone is ringing she cheerfully bounds to the taskhappy to greet Toby or to talk to her Daddy. She has no concept of time nor isconcerned if our "to do" list gets done. She finishes many tasks yet dreads none ofthem.She enjoys her spare moments so much that even the mundane ones have greatopportunity for joy and celebration. Tonight, as she played in the tub I thought abouthow content we'd all be if we could live our lives in this manner. Life is a gift to be enjoyed no matter the task.Dear God,May we enjoy each moment You have given us to do the tasks You have set before us. May even our mundane chores be done joyfully so that there is value in that small piece of time. I thank You for my children who teach me, without even knowing it! In Jesus Name,Amen.2 Corinthians 6:1 "Companions as we are in this work with you, we beg you, please do not squander one bit of this marvelous life God has given us." The Message
Monday, January 12, 2009
Living a Marvelous Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Your post made me smile. You are so right. The little ones take great joy in the every day things. They've not learned to be cynical or overwhelmed. "A little child shall lead them," right?
I really enjoyed this post. As a matter of fact, it is a bit similar to one I will be posting within the week regarding "Free Time".
I got the idea from a book kelly gave me for Christmas.
Have a great evening!!
Sometimes I watch RJ2 play and worry that even the mundane way in which she plays is somehow bad for her. But, she has such joy, even in lining up her characters on a table. I have trouble seeing her just live in her moment, fearing that she's missing something.
I am watching her play today and seeing it all with new focus. She is happy! And huggy!!
Thanking God for helping me understand the time we have and what to do with it!
I love this. Too often I feel guilty if I'm not being productive or cranky if the task seems to be getting in the way of something "more important". Time to refocus. :)
Have a great day Mrs P!
Ah, thanks again for my perspective change. We have so much to learn from our children...more often we're so worried if we're teaching them enough...if only they knew (and we would stop to appreciate more often) the impact they have on teaching us!
I must work harder to enjoy ALL of my moments during the day--regardless of how they are spent! Joyful living is now on my "to-do" list! :)
Post a Comment