Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We'll Leave The Light On For You



Tonight the boys and I took our dog, Toby out for a walk around the neighborhood. We looked at all of the beautifully decorated houses. My favorites are the ones with a candle in each window. To me it looks as if they are awaiting a special visitor and are leaving the light on for them!




I have read that this tradition started in Ireland. The candles in windows are a symbolic gesture to those ancient travelers who could find no shelter that there is room for them and the coming child.




During the seventeenth century the British had control over Ireland and instated harsh laws hoping to eradicate Irish traditions. The Irishmen were not allowed to vote, send their children to school, buy land, or own expensive livestock. The Irish priests were sent out of Ireland and warned never to return.




On Christmas Eve the Irish families of faith placed a single candle in each of three windows, or three candles in one window to symbolize, Mary, Joseph and Jesus. The candles were lit for traveling priests to let them know the doors were unlocked and they were welcome to come eat and celebrate "Christ-mas."




Today the candles in the windows could symbolize our readiness for Jesus to enter our homes and live in our hearts.






Jesus is the light of the world that shines in the darkness. His light can not be extinguished no matter how many laws are instated to stop believers from gathering together. Such laws are no match for the Light of the World!




May our "light" so shine that people feel welcome and long to meet the Giver of Our Light, Jesus.
John 1:4-5 "The Word gave life to everything that was created and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it." NLT
John 9:5b Jesus said...."I am the light of the world."
Our middle child recently sang a song for the PTA , along with his class about candles and how they warm our hearts. He also had a small speaking part. He was visibly nervous but did a super job!
He is holding his candle!

6 comments:

Edie said...

I didn't know this. That is so cool. Another thing to add to my list. :)

Your son looks adorable there with his candle.

and No, it is not my house. LOL!! Wish I was that talented. Ha!

Sue J. said...

Not to go secular, here, but maybe this is where the Rankin-Bass writers picked up the idea for Kris Kringle's troubles. In "Here Comes Santa Claus," the children work with Kris to find ways for him to come into their homes. Hanging stockings by the fire...he tries going down chimneys and not front doors, etc. Can't keep out the goodness he's trying to bring.

Candles in the window; carols at the spinet....

Yes, candles have so much rich symbolism and history. We all need our candles to burn brightly this season with the real message of Christmas--and don't let Satan (pfffff) it out; I'm gonna let it shine!

Sue J. said...

P.S. Middle son is a gem! So poised and focused, even in his stage fright. It's that nervous energy that allows you to perform great. A natural!!

Kelly said...

Love the pic of your boy! So cute, and looks so much like your daughter!!!

I loved the candle stories which were new to me as well. Lots of teaching here today.

On Purpose said...

He is one adorable-handsome guy!

I too love the one candle in the window look.

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

This was such a great post! I never knew about the irish tradition and incidently I've never actually put candles in my windows. But I will buy them this year and share with my family the reason for having them!

Thanks for sharing this!
Sonya